RATS! Eating my vegetables!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Hi all,

I've got a few container and raised bed vegetables growing and having a lot of trouble with rats.

I keep the garden free of fallen fruit, and clear up dog poop (apparently they like that). I empty outside dog water bowls at night too.

But they seem to come in through the corner by our banana tree, and have started nibbling tomatoes, butternut squash, any young fruit or vegetables which as you can imagine is very annoying.

I don't want to trap, and I don't want to poison. I know people have varying and strong views either way on these but i just don't want to do it. They're also not options as I have 2 active dogs who I wouldn't want to find poison or rat bodies.

So, any ideas what I can maybe hang around the garden up high to keep them away? I was recommended ammonia, does anyone have any success with this?

Many thanks in advance,
Thomas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live out in the country and rat and mice are a big problem but simple to fix. The following UTube video shows how. I use Decon rat and mice bait. There is no chance that anything except a rat or mouse will be harmed by this.

Ask a Question