TV or Movies that contained gardening content

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are there any TV shows or movies you remember that had a character that was involved with gardening, or a scene that mentioned it? Do you remember it as an accurate portrayal, one filled with errors, or did it just stand out to you for some other reason?

For instance, I often think about Humphrey Bogart in The Big Sleep whenever someone mentions a greenhouse. I can see Philip Marlowe sweating it out in there as he talks to the client. I don't have any particular reason (other than it being a great movie) for continually thinking about this, it just stands out to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Silent Running - I never really looked at it in the literal or technical gardening sense as I wasn't the gardener that I am now when I lasted watched it, but I always liked Freeman's (Bruce Dern) care and appreciation for nature. Great movie.

There is also Green Fingers - "a prison inmate with a green thumb goes on to complete in a national gardening competition...based on a true story" (from England I think). Another that I watched before I got a little more serious with my gardening. This one might be fun to go back and see if it has much real gardening content or not.I do recall it being an enjoyable movie.

We have 1 or 2 seasonal local gardening shows and I do like to see what they come up with, and if I agree or not with their strategies and techniques.

I do try and keep my eyes out for gardening content in shows and commercials, it's fun, but under represented.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Faaarm living is the life for me, land spreadin'...

I always got a hoot out of the corn field!

Wasn't there a British who done it with two lady gardeners? I remember an episode or two and the grand places where they filmed were quite dandy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Little House on the Prairie...they had to live off the land. I always wanted to have their vegetable garden and be able to grow all of my own produce. That must have been the life, a hard one, but a good one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Anne of Green Gables, almost every PEI home had a garden for food and flowers. Many have full fledged farms and the movie accurately portrayed PEI of the early 1900's and to be honest it still looked a lot like that when we vacationed there in the 1970's.

Reaction score
I watched a lot TV as a kid, but I can't really remember the names so well (not since my accident), but I do remember one thing I told my grandma once and still makes me lol: ''Grandma, why aren't you like those happy and chatty grannies that are on TV always gardening and stuff?''. LOL, she laughed so hard!!!! I must have watched a lot movies and TV shows that had chatty sweet grandmas that gardened a lot o_O

Ask a Question