Tree/bush identification help

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_8496.JPG
IMG_8493.JPG
IMG_8495.JPG
IMG_8497.JPG

We have two of these planted in our backyard (planted by previous owner) and I can't figure what this tree is for the life of me!
For random reasons, the tree decided to bloom small white flowers this year so I really got curious.
It sheds all its leaves in the winter (I live in zone 9a or something like that where we don't have a true "winter" with snow/frost and all that) and it began sprouting new leaves early April.

Any idea on what it is? Please and thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like a Weigela- weigela florida

Thanks for the reply. But it doesn't look like the flowers look similar. The flowers on the tree are pure white and much smaller than what weigela florida flowers look like. (Unless there are other varieties?)
So I got my detective hat out and started thinking that it might be a fruit tree because the other trees that the old owner had planted were all definitely fruit trees. (Other trees are pomegranate tree, lime or orange tree, and banana tree for some odd reason considering the house is in hot desert area..)

and the owner had planted two of this mystery tree right at the center whereas he only planted one of the other trees. This leads me to think that it must be a fruit tree.

Long story short, I was googling some images of common fruit trees and I think it might be plum??
The way the leaves are kind of bunched up(?) together and the white flowers look similar.

Any thoughts? This tree literally never flowered in the 7 years we've lived at the house so I'm really excited!
I don't know why the tree suddenly decided it wants to bloom flowers this year. I hope we get to see some fruit soon xD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree with you, a plum. You probably have 2 different varieties and that one is probably Santa Rosa. It’s a universal pollinator for plums, so usually planted with any other variety to get fruit. Check near the bottom and see if there is growth coming from below the graft. The graft point is where they put a piece of the desired variety onto a sturdy rootstock. If there is growth coming from below the graft, cut it off because it will take over from the desired variety.

Ask a Question