Tomatoes stay green forever?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have yet to save seeds from the Blue Beauty as I had plenty to begin with. However, I am low this year and had hoped to save some. Blue Beauty is supposed to be an heirloom, so I'll see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have yet to save seeds from the Blue Beauty as I had plenty to begin with. However, I am low this year and had hoped to save some. Blue Beauty is supposed to be an heirloom, so I'll see.
Blue Beauty in NOT an heirloom. It is a hybrid cross between Beauty King and Blue Tomato, part of the Indigo series of tomatoes, of which neither are heirlooms. That's why I asked about coming true, which of the two are most prevalent , Beauty King or the blue. The blue is the one which is full of antioxidants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I know Blue Beauty was a hybrid creation, but I'm guessing it's been dehybriditized throughout its generations. If it were still a hybrid, Baker Creek would not offer it for sale, as they deal ONLY with heirlooms. I will save the seeds from my Blue Beauty, and if they do not come true to type, Baker Creek will hear from me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know Blue Beauty was a hybrid creation, but I'm guessing it's been dehybriditized throughout its generations. If it were still a hybrid, Baker Creek would not offer it for sale, as they deal ONLY with heirlooms. I will save the seeds from my Blue Beauty, and if they do not come true to type, Baker Creek will hear from me.
I grew Indigo Rose a couple of years ago. I didn't realize it was in the same group of tomatoes until your post. It is without doubt one of the best tasting tomatoes ever. However where I live the foliage was just too sparce and many of the fruits sunscalded. What part of Texas do you live in. Please update.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sorry it took me so long to reply. My phone was misbehaving today. The keypad would just vanish and then the website kept shutting down. Made me so mad. Seems to be ok now, hope it doesn't do it again. Ok, I live in east Texas. Close to Louisiana. Have you saved seeds from your Indigo Rose and it come true to type?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry it took me so long to reply. My phone was misbehaving today. The keypad would just vanish and then the website kept shutting down. Made me so mad. Seems to be ok now, hope it doesn't do it again. Ok, I live in east Texas. Close to Louisiana. Have you saved seeds from your Indigo Rose and it come true to type?
No, as I said its foliage was too sparse so I won't grow it again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Maybe you should try the Ketchup tomato.(Heinz Classic Ketchup Tomato. It was supposed to have been used by the Heinz company to make their ketchup with) I bought it as a commercially grown plant a couple of years ago and saved the seeds from it, and it came true to type. It has great foliage coverage, it is a compact plant(three feet at the most) and it's red fruits are absolutely terrific! The plant has a unique growing habit: the older the plant gets, its branches bend downward. However, it is fragile. I lost my potted one this year when a gust of wind knocked it off a table.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe you should try the Ketchup tomato.(Heinz Classic Ketchup Tomato. It was supposed to have been used by the Heinz company to make their ketchup with) I bought it as a commercially grown plant a couple of years ago and saved the seeds from it, and it came true to type. It has great foliage coverage, it is a compact plant(three feet at the most) and it's red fruits are absolutely terrific! The plant has a unique growing habit: the older the plant gets, its branches bend downward. However, it is fragile. I lost my potted one this year when a gust of wind knocked it off a table.
Back in the 1980's I grew tomatoes commercially and sold to Heinz. IIRC the variety I mostly grew was named Heinz something. What I remember most about them was their susceptibility Blossom End Rot. They must be closely related to the San Marzano.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Heinz still makes ketchup, so I should hope they still use tomatoes! But yes, you're right, they probably use some stupid hybrid now. It's such as shame that there are so many hybrids, when there is nothing wrong with heirlooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Heinz still makes ketchup, so I should hope they still use tomatoes! But yes, you're right, they probably use some stupid hybrid now. It's such as shame that there are so many hybrids, when there is nothing wrong with heirlooms.
Well, I admit that heirlooms are tasty but they have a LOT of problems. Especially if you make your living growing tomatoes. Heirlooms are much more prone to diseases and other maladys than the modern hybrid and cost more to grow. That and planting time to harvest is usually quite a bit longer too. If you have a 20 acre patch of tomatoes it costs a lot of money to just maintain them. Heinz used to have scientists that worked to bring forth hybrids but I think now that they are just a food processor and marketer and have nothing to do with actually growing tomatoes. I may be wrong, I've been out of the tomato growing business for a long time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wow. If I had been around when you were growing acres of tomatoes, believe me I would have been working for you!

Ask a Question