Tomatoes from Tuscany

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hey there!

I'm getting started on my own garden this year, still a newbie, and I've got people asking me already about how to start their plants lol. A friend brought back tomato seed from Tuscany and I was just talking to him about starting my veggie seedlings this weekend. Is it too early to start tomatoes in New England? I think I'm in zone 6a? I live about 10 minutes north of Boston.

I don't want to be responsible for his tomatoes from Tuscany being planed too early lol.
I still have no idea what I'M doing haha.

kthanks!
h

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey there!

I'm getting started on my own garden this year, still a newbie, and I've got people asking me already about how to start their plants lol. A friend brought back tomato seed from Tuscany and I was just talking to him about starting my veggie seedlings this weekend. Is it too early to start tomatoes in New England? I think I'm in zone 6a? I live about 10 minutes north of Boston.

I don't want to be responsible for his tomatoes from Tuscany being planed too early lol.
I still have no idea what I'M doing haha.

kthanks!
h
Start your seeds indoors about 6 weeks before your average last frost date

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Should I be planting more than one seed per cup though?
I literally have no idea what I'm doing lol.
I always plant at least 2 seeds per container. That way if one doesn't germinate the other one probably will. Usually I plant 3 seeds and it they all germinate I let them grow until the first set of true leaves and snip off the smaller ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'd start ASAP. I'm told that you guys saw more of your grass this winter than snow. So get moving (indoors, that is).

Reaction score
This seems to be common when you mention that you enjoy gardening. I had a few friends do this to me when they found out that I enjoyed gardening herbs. I had several people asking me to start their growth because they didn't know what they were doing. I would suggest getting these tomatoes in the ground prior to winter. This is really one of the best times to start growing your tomatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! My heating pads are coming today and I'm going to start the tomatoes and peppers tonight! I'll follow up with some photos later tonight (maybe in the morning depending on how tired I am lol).

I'm still trying to find a light source though :/. I know once they break the surface (7-14 days for the tomatoes and I think 10-21 days for the peppers), I'll need lighting. I'm thinking of getting a couple of these bulbs and a few of the utility dome shades with clamps. If I get three of them, I can angle anyway I need to get the most coverage. See link below:

High Efficient 24w LED Grow Light, TaoTronics Plant Grow Lights E27 Growing Bulbs For Garden https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014ZZLP8G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_Rm-5wb81ERHNG

I have also looked at these:

Hydrofarm JSV2 2-Foot Jump Start T5 Grow Light System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006856EQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_Do-5wbZAK8YYM

What do you think?
Thanks!
H

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
A window with good light should be ok, the days are getting longer, the light source is good to have during the short days of light during winter. I have one plant under a regular table lamp in a dark basement and it does well during the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A window with good light should be ok, the days are getting longer, the light source is good to have during the short days of light during winter. I have one plant under a regular table lamp in a dark basement and it does well during the winter.
Unfortunately I'm a cellar dweller and have no windows lol. I can't keep the plants upstairs either because of our cats... They'll lay on the domes and crush them :(. Artificial light is a must for me.

Ask a Question