Tomatoes for extreme heat?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have all but given up on full size tomoatoes, since the last few summers have given us temps in excess of 104 (without heat index). Last year I tried shading my plants in the very hottest part of the day, but the tomatoes never did recover or produce much. Are there any full-size varieties that can take the heat?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are some varieties that take heat better than others but I don't know how much. Floradade is one but it is a smaller tomato.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Last year I had good luck with Sungold and Sweet 100, but those are cherry size. Arkansas Traveler is supposed to take some heat, but global warming may be stressing all the old standbys

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The Heatmaster is probably the most effective heat tolerant tomato I use. I also like the Arkansas Traveler but believe the Heatmaster provides more heat tolerance. The Super Sweet 100s are also heat tolerant but a great cherry tomato.

Afternoon shade helps a lot... and mine get it starting in June but the last couple of summers have just been off the charts on heat and no full-size tomato producing plants will set fruit from July until about mid-September. The plants will survive but just won't produce until nighttime temps start down.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
40C is very hot. For how long does it last?
Putting shade cloth over the trellis is about the only way because I don't know of any tomato that can take those temps for long.
Make sure the roots are heavily mulched. 4" of straw or compost is needed. Don't prune the laterals after the first flowering stem. The fruit are vulnerable to sunburn so keep as many leaves on the plant as possible.
A seaweed spray on leaves and the soil is supposed to strengthen the plant cells and produce a tougher plant.
Good luck and a change of weather is needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
saving this thread for when I move to florida in a few years

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Supposedly, Everglade tomatoes are heat tolerant. I've been meaning to get some seeds, but haven't yet, so I can't say one way or the other.

Ask a Question