Tomato plants have brown spots on leaves!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
It does look a lot like some type of climate shock/transplant shock.

Few things.
That 1 leaf looks like it has holes through it, which isn't consistent with a blight/fungal be sure to check under all the leaves and rule out any pest infestations like spider mites (check for black spots). Another thing, I see tip damage on some of the fresh growth, again that doesn't seem consistent with blight/fungal.

I'd just stop watering at this point and only water when the pots are completely dried out. Don't cut off any of the growth, if something else comes up, it can be a good indicator of things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
thats good news i think, and the water condenses on everything when it rains in the greenhouse so you guys are probably right that it is the water droplets being scorched by the sun. they are not holes though , they do look like holes but they are just darker spots, but i will check for spider mites, i think my basil plant in the kitchen has small black spots on it almost microscopic. but thats another can of worms
i did just plant these tomatoes into the greenhouse after i bought them so could be transplant shock too
should i return them to the greenhouse if its not contagious ?
there is frost coming next week here so maybe i should keep them inside? and bring the rest in the greenhouse inside at night too? once the frost hits

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
The general consensus seems to be that they aren't contagious. I'd throw em into the greenhouse and use your best judgement on when to bring em in.

Reaction score
Country
Italy
willyg
I'm in Italy too- near Milano. My tomato plants and pepper plants started to look like that. It's very frustrating, especially when you don't know what it is and how it happened. I brought some of the infected leaves with me to a big garden center. I bought some spray nutrients they gave me; helped a little. Then, I went to another smaller garden center (where they actually grow many of their own plants that they sell- a MAJOR difference in receiving good information and help. ) He told me it was a micronutrient deficiency and I bought a box of Flortis CONCIME in Polvere Alt MICROCARENZE 100GR Cura Giardino Esterno and this really helped! I think it covers a broad range of deficiencies that happen- especially when seed starting your own plants, which is what I did. It really helps to get good concime and make sure you follow a program of using them.
I hope you've found your solution (I see it is an old message).

Ask a Question