Tips for tomato growers

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I often do that to increase the number of plants, especially when i'm growing an F1 hybrid, as you normally only get about 7 seeds in a packet.

Reaction score
I often do that to increase the number of plants, especially when i'm growing an F1 hybrid, as you normally only get about 7 seeds in a packet.
Zigs, that is a great way to start more plants. I never knew this all these years I have grown tomatoes. Hey I am getting myself some purple tomatoes.. and I can have more plants from the small number of seeds I will get.. isn't that wonderful? Thanks people I am really glad to learn new things everyday.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They root quite easily, but you could use a hormone rooting powder to help things along.

When you repot or plant out a tomato plant, bury it as deep as the first set of true leaves. It'll put new roots out from the stem and you'll get a stronger & more productive plant.

Reaction score
I will work on suckers and removing lower branches from trunk this growing season and let you all know how it turned out!

Reaction score
I will work on suckers and removing lower branches from trunk this growing season and let you all know how it turned out!
Jen after learning about the suckers.. I have noticed for the last few seasons I have had larger and juicer tomatoes. I hope you have great success too. Coffee grounds and egg shells buried deep in the container/ground help these plants so don't forget them. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am so glad I found this thread. So how do you know what flowers to prune off? I would assume the sucker branch would ultimately be the one without flowers. I've heard about the basil before. The concept is called companion gardening. There are a number of vegetables that if planted together in certain ways are supposed to "help" each other grow. I've only read a little on it. It does sound very interesting though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also grow tomatoes during the summer months. I find they are one of the easiest plants to grow. I don't do anything to them, and they produce big red tomatoes. I wouldn't suggest picking the smaller branches off. I think you are okay just leaving the plant as is!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
have found over the years that growing paste tomatoes are the way to go since they are mostly oblong in shape.
1. they make great bite size fried green tomatoes.....
2. they make great stewed tomatoes....more meat less snot
3. sliced length wise 2 pieces fit perfectly on a piece of bread for a sandwich..

have finally decided to stop procrastinating and next year going to try the florida weave on a couple indeterminate varieties...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow this is good to know. Tomatoes are by far my favorite thing to grow. I find I have so many uses for them. I use them in salads, make sauce, and salsa. When I have a lot of let over green tomatoes I will also fry them or make pickles tomatoes. They have a very unique taste but are so good. I haven't made sun dried tomatoes yet but am looking forward to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This is the first time I've heard of suckers and like sugar apple, too many branches eat the nutrients so taking them off will put the nutrients into flowers and fruits.We plant tomato once in a while but for home consumption only so it is usually just one or 2 plants at the most. We do not regularly plant tomatoes because of the aphids that inhabit the leaves. But one season of planting is quite good, without aphids yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow this is good to know. Tomatoes are by far my favorite thing to grow. I find I have so many uses for them. I use them in salads, make sauce, and salsa. When I have a lot of let over green tomatoes I will also fry them or make pickles tomatoes. They have a very unique taste but are so good. I haven't made sun dried tomatoes yet but am looking forward to it.

dw makes a killer green tomato relish...we topped buying pickle relish

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing :) I might giving ''tomatillos'' a try next year, so it's good to know all those tips, since I have never grown tomatoes myself (but saw my dad do it - his never grow big and nice like the ones I've seen here though).

Ask a Question