The Japanese Turnip

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Being a fan of purple top turnips, I was curious how these Asian varieties would fare in the garden and on the table. I grew them in one of my HK containers and started them a bit late as the hot weather is now upon us.

They did not disappoint, however...in fact, they are really good raw with salt. Noticeably milder taste than purple tops. Also, considerably sweeter. Easy to grow, white, and smaller than purples, I definitely give them 👍 and will grow a crop of them next fall. I'm also going to try pickling some as have heard good things there.

The Japanese turnip, a nice change in veggie.

Japanese turnips (2).JPG

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Japanese turnip, also known as Hakurei turnips or Tokyo turnips, is a delightful addition to any garden and culinary repertoire. Here's a detailed look at its characteristics and growing tips:

**Characteristics:**
1. **Milder Taste**: Compared to traditional purple top turnips, Japanese turnips offer a milder flavor profile. They have a subtle sweetness that makes them enjoyable to eat raw or cooked.
2. **Texture**: Japanese turnips tend to have a crisp and tender texture, even when eaten raw. This makes them perfect for salads or as a crunchy snack.
3. **Appearance**: These turnips typically have a white or creamy exterior, with a pale green crown where the leaves attach. They are smaller in size compared to purple top turnips.
4. **Versatility**: Japanese turnips are incredibly versatile in the kitchen. They can be enjoyed raw in salads, pickled for a tangy crunch, or cooked in various dishes such as stir-fries, soups, and roasts.

**Growing Tips:**
1. **Soil and Sun**: Japanese turnips thrive in well-drained soil with plenty of organic matter. Choose a sunny spot in your garden or container that receives at least 6 hours of sunlight per day.
2. **Planting Time**: While Japanese turnips are more tolerant of warmer weather compared to other turnip varieties, they still prefer cooler temperatures. Aim to sow the seeds in early spring or late summer for a fall harvest.
3. **Spacing**: When planting Japanese turnips, ensure proper spacing between seeds or seedlings to allow for adequate air circulation and room for the roots to develop. Follow the spacing recommendations on the seed packet or plant label.
4. **Watering**: Keep the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged. Japanese turnips require regular watering, especially during dry periods, to promote healthy growth and prevent the roots from becoming woody.
5. **Harvesting**: Japanese turnips are typically ready to harvest in about 35-45 days after planting, depending on the variety and growing conditions. Harvest them when they reach the desired size, usually when the roots are about 2-3 inches in diameter. Use a garden fork or hand trowel to gently loosen the soil around the roots and lift them from the ground.

In summary, Japanese turnips are a delightful and easy-to-grow vegetable that adds diversity to your garden and culinary creations. Whether enjoyed raw, cooked, or pickled, these mild and sweet turnips are sure to please your palate and offer a refreshing change in your vegetable repertoire.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do you save the greens? I've had a hankering for grits and greens to go with ribs.

I've pickled turnips before, recommend vinegar, sugar, salt pepper and some shredded carrots to go with. Makes a nice slaw.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Do you save the greens? I've had a hankering for grits and greens to go with ribs.

I've pickled turnips before, recommend vinegar, sugar, salt pepper and some shredded carrots to go with. Makes a nice slaw.
I should have...but regretfully did not. I've since read that the greens are delicious, and I did have a lot of thinnings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We try to do greens from many vegetables. Turnips, beets and even excess cabbage leaves.

The greens tend to have milder flavors than the root. Beets greens are a little sweet, Turnips greens have a mild punch similar to mustard greens.

Mmmm, simmer down a ham hock, some salt sugar and bacon drippings over steamed chopped greens and finish with red pepper flakes.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Milder as in not the radish-like sharpness to the flavor? How do you think they'd fare as a mash or puree?
Exactly...but they will never be puree here as they are too good raw.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Milder as in not the radish-like sharpness to the flavor? How do you think they'd fare as a mash or puree?

Now I gotta go find a seed source for these.
That radish like flavor dissipates when cooking and most brassicas tend to taste like cabbage when cooked. Or at least when overcooked.

Mashed or puree is a typical preparation.

Ask a Question