Sugar, moleasses, simple sugars to improve soil life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The way I always use molasses is as a soil drench. I have a 2 gallon garden bucket into which I put 4 oz molasses and anything else I might need. This will be adequate for 4 tomato plants or about 8-10 square feet. I do this every time I fertilize, every 2 weeks.

Oh so you can use it while watering or fertilizing plants? I was wondering if I could run dissolved sugar through my drip lines. Not sure if it would clog up my lines or not.

I don't have moleasses and never have. Moleasses probably has more carbon content than sugar, right? So there has to be a bit of difference in its affect on the soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh so you can use it while watering or fertilizing plants? I was wondering if I could run dissolved sugar through my drip lines. Not sure if it would clog up my lines or not.

I don't have moleasses and never have. Moleasses probably has more carbon content than sugar, right? So there has to be a bit of difference in its affect on the soil?
Fertilizing or watering plants. Molasses is a by-product of making sugar. Molasses has a tiny amount of nitrogen but it has a lot of trace minerals. Sugar has none. Molasses doesn't do much for plants per se, except for the minerals. It's main purpose is to feed soil micro-organisms and the minerals are just an added benefit. Sugar is nothing but carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. Sugar and molasses contain the same amount of carbohydrates, 15 grams per Tablespoon and these carbohydrates are what feed the soil microorganisms. Sugar has more carbon content than molasses at 42% for sugar and about 25% for molasses. But the main difference is the cost of sugar vs molasses. So, in short, sugar will do the same thing molasses does without the benefits of a little nitrogen and all of the trace minerals. I don't see why you couldn't run sugar water through a drip system. All you would have to do is run water through the lines after the sugar water to clean them. The added carbon content of sugar comes from cattle bones which are used as a whitening agent for table sugar. So I suppose sugar also has some properties of bone meal also.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All you would have to do is run water through the lines after the sugar water to clean them.

I can do that. I think I'll try it and see next watering.

My chickens poop in my garden all winter so they add organic fertilizer then, but when I close them out in early spring it is synthetic fertilizer from spring until late fall when they get back in with crimson clover cover crop which also gets tilled in the spring.

I think by doing this, I can keep the microbes lively throughout the gardening season (spring through fall). Anyone see any problems in this method?

You know I just thought of something while sitting on the porch today. The hummingbird feeder (25% sugar) there leaks and drips right next to a peony plant and that thing must be loving it. Definately hasn't hurt it any but haven't looked at the soil because it is covered in rock mulch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I can do that. I think I'll try it and see next watering.

My chickens poop in my garden all winter so they add organic fertilizer then, but when I close them out in early spring it is synthetic fertilizer from spring until late fall when they get back in with crimson clover cover crop which also gets tilled in the spring.

I think by doing this, I can keep the microbes lively throughout the gardening season (spring through fall). Anyone see any problems in this method?

You know I just thought of something while sitting on the porch today. The hummingbird feeder (25% sugar) there leaks and drips right next to a peony plant and that thing must be loving it. Definately hasn't hurt it any but haven't looked at the soil because it is covered in rock mulch.
Why not blood bone and fish meal? Well let me rephrase that since prions are not alive and to my understanding cannot be sterilized. There are risks. Why not something more organic?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why not something more organic?

I have plenty of phosphours and potassium in my soil. What I would need is nitrogen later in the season, organic blood meal as you state. At the same time though I don't use that much synthetic fertilizer since I've incorperated the chicken grazing thing. The synthetic is more of a maintenance dose in which I can adjust up or down. I have been using the same 40 lb bag of 20-20-20 for 4 years now in a 1500 ft2 garden if that says anything. This is just the road I happened to have traveled I guess mainly because I use drip lines. I'm happy with it at this point and still plenty of earthworms so I'm not in a dead zone.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Ok since the year that I did that the garden was planted by Easter and I was pulling roots and checking soil there in August (4 months) I would suggest your almost 2 month period could produce half of the required depth but you know its still warm so maybe more? Seems reasonable, linear, but reasonable.
It isn't linear so far. At least for the first two weeks of the test. Linear would be 3.75 inches per week of increased penetration. Thus far none...zero, nada in either test plot. The soil has been frequently drenched with 1% solution and the rain has picked up substantially which should aid penetration naturally, but none so far. Two weeks and 7.5 inches behind already. Not looking good for the one hand, 5 ft rebar penetration...but its early.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What about the soil life? I supposed there is not really an easy way to test that from the average person.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It isn't linear so far. At least for the first two weeks of the test. Linear would be 3.75 inches per week of increased penetration. Thus far none...zero, nada in either test plot. The soil has been frequently drenched with 1% solution and the rain has picked up substantially which should aid penetration naturally, but none so far. Two weeks and 7.5 inches behind already. Not looking good for the one hand, 5 ft rebar penetration...but its early.
Now don't forget I was using jobes tomato tone and epsom salts too. I was running it as rich as possible because more is more right? You might as well plant something there if your going to all this trouble.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Now don't forget I was using jobes tomato tone and epsom salts too. I was running it as rich as possible because more is more right? You might as well plant something there if your going to all this trouble.

I'm happy to add Epsom salts and tomato tone to the drench...or whatever else but that wasn't part of the original claim...rebar pushed 5 ft deep with one hand through clay soil... Early results say it's not going to happen, but several weeks yet to go.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
What about the soil life? I supposed there is not really an easy way to test that from the average person.

If you know of a way other than visual, I'm certainly willing to try it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, all I can say is that I can push a piece of rebar 2 feet into the ground with both hands and a hernia but then I hit solid rock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm happy to add Epsom salts and tomato tone to the drench...or whatever else but that wasn't part of the original claim...rebar pushed 5 ft deep with one hand through clay soil... Early results say it's not going to happen, but several weeks yet to go.
I wish you luck in your examinations.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Especially when there are 50 BILLION in an average tablespoon of soil.
"Is that the US billion ten to the ninth or the English billion ten to the twelfth?"
"Not sure, I'll just check. One, two, three ..."

Maybe you should have a control patch as well. One with just sugar, one with sugar, epsom salt and fertiliser, one with nothing. At least on a three horse race I could start a book, give odds for penetration increasing 0%, 10%, 50%, 100% or five foot.
:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
"Is that the US billion ten to the ninth or the English billion ten to the twelfth?"
"Not sure, I'll just check. One, two, three ..."

Maybe you should have a control patch as well. One with just sugar, one with sugar, epsom salt and fertiliser, one with nothing. At least on a three horse race I could start a book, give odds for penetration increasing 0%, 10%, 50%, 100% or five foot.
:)
Don't know. I only report the news, not make it. It is what google said but it didn't say who, what or how to count 50 billion.

Ask a Question