Steel Cut Oats vs Instant Oats

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Steel cut oats are the least processed of the other two commonly bought oatmeal (Instant and Rolled); however, the steel cut oats are usually more expensive, at best the same price, despite the extra processing.

Steel cut oats are least processed and I believe they are in less demand, because people want a quick bowl of oats, so most people buy instant oats. So why are they usually less expensive?

Here is an example (and don't even look at the prices for the organic stuff). Notice that the 1-minute oatmeal is 18 cents more, but you get an extra 12 ounces.

Quaker Quick 1-minute oats 42 ounces $5.68

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-Q...TI2b1UE_jhUAMXl1pORoC9aMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quaker Steel Cut Oats 30 ounces $5.50

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-S...33ov5RjHWSBU6hPsIUrzzxkNyfGHw5_xoCDIMQAvD_BwE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am guessing, but probably it is because things are sold cheaper when produced in quantity. You can have a longer thus cheaper, production run and make a smaller profit percentage wise. I have had whole oats, soaked overnight before cooking, but still a lot of texture.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I found this interesting. I don't like oatmeal porridge but I do buy steal cut oats to use in baking bread and many other things. I am also only guessing but the price could be due to bulk, and also maybe because the shelf life isn't as long as the processed stuff. Things with a shorter shelf life usually cost more so they can cover the cost of items that have to be tossed out before they sell.

Ask a Question