Favourites veg/herb cuttings to take

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
  1. Easy for me...tomatoes. I lay down limbs and cover them with soil and presto...new tomato plant.
  2. The next most would be all kinds of beans and peas. I often let a first crop go to seed not harvesting any and shred the plants resulting in a tremendous explosion of new plants. This is a technique I use to build my soils with legume cover crops...plant, shred, and repeat without having to replant seeds. I have completed up to 4 cycles in a growing season on field peas.
  3. I propagate blackberries and fig trees using the same technique as in tomatoes.
  4. sweet potatoes same technique
  5. red potatoes come from left over spuds planted again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
  1. Easy for me...tomatoes. I lay down limbs and cover them with soil and presto...new tomato plant.
  2. The next most would be all kinds of beans and peas. I often let a first crop go to seed not harvesting any and shred the plants resulting in a tremendous explosion of new plants. This is a technique I use to build my soils with legume cover crops...plant, shred, and repeat without having to replant seeds. I have completed up to 4 cycles in a growing season on field peas.
  3. I propagate blackberries and fig trees using the same technique as in tomatoes.
  4. sweet potatoes same technique
  5. red potatoes come from left over spuds planted again.
Never knew you could bury the stems of tomatoes and they create new plants! Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can take cuttings from the side shoots of tomatoes. They will grow roots in water, but better is in really mushy, wet compost, water roots are different from soil roots. Put a cutting in a polystyrene cup with a hole in the bottom and then floating it in a larger cup, works fine.
Special tomatoes are dear, but they always offer them for sale earlier than they should, so I think I can run to one each of a couple :)

Ask a Question