Striking a cutting - it wont grow... or die!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Everyone,

I had a Daphne growing in the yard, and I cut a small twig about 10cm long with some flowers on it. I brought it inside because of the fragrance, and (as usual) the flowers all soon fell off. I promptly forgot about it and it sat on my window sill for several weeks. I noticed that it didn't die, though. It also didn't grow any roots. I left it there and topped up the water and, after more than a month, it eventually grew a tiny root. I planted it in some soil in a pot on the same window sill, and it's now been there for over a year... not growing, and not dying. Even the tiny leaf buds that were on it when it was cut, only about 3mm long and curled tightly into a point, have stayed exactly the same, not opening, not drying up.

Long story short: Is there anything else I can do to get it to grow?

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daphne are known to be difficult to propagate and slow; hence the cost.
Commercially cuttings are rooted in a mist unit, in a free draining mix and hormone rooting compound is used.

Ask a Question