Speaking of Knots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I apologize if I posted this earlier, but if I did it was longer that a seniorcitizen can remember.

I've used a Clove Hitch knot in some manner for a few decades now and find it real handy. Shown is 2 versions. The improved or quick release is a discovery of my own several years ago. You'll find the quick release is only good for holding in 1 direction because the other end is the quick release as you would un-tie your shoe lace.

The 2 loop tie method ( place loop A on top of loop B ) is for dropping those loops over a stake, post or any object the top can be reached. Excellent for pulling posts, trees stumps, shrubs trunk stubs etc. The Quick release is tied as the 1940's scout book describes with the exception of the quick release option.

Attachments

• Clove Hitch-  ll - 2014.jpg
    Clove Hitch- ll - 2014.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 44
  • clove hitch 2014.JPG
    clove hitch 2014.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 43
  • clove hitch improved 2014.JPG
    clove hitch improved 2014.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @SeniorCitizen I found that very useful - reminded me of my father - he was in the navy and had different bits of rope tied in all kinds of weird knots hanging in his hobby room :rolleyes:
All my stakes will have clove hitches this summer !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your attachments are not working - I have been practising with a bit of wool... think I`ve got the knack of it now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I'll try those attachments 1 more time showing how the clove hitch is used to tie onions and garlic to hang for storage.

Attachments

• onions hanging 7-10-11.JPG
    onions hanging 7-10-11.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Garlic harvest 7-1-08.jpg
    Garlic harvest 7-1-08.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 44
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DSC00391.JPG

I do ours like this - the first ones I ever tried to string! The first couple of bunches I trimmed off to about 3 inches and twisted them on to the string, but then I left the length on the tops and plaited them which I found easier and quicker.
DSC00392.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I was planning to try the Plait method a few years ago but the Grasshoppers changed my mind when I read they needed the tops to accomplish Plaiting.:( This is just a sample of approx. 200 plants . At least they were mature enough to salvage the onions.

Attachments

• onion tops-2012- .jpg
    onion tops-2012- .jpg
    15 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We hardly ever see grasshoppers, and I had no idea they would do that kind of damage. Here there seems to be a recent abundance of rabbits which is a concern. We are hoping there are enough predators to help keep the numbers down.

Ask a Question