Soil sterilizing and seed planting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Zinc is pretty much a nonissue when considering our health. As with almost any element too much can be harmful. Too much iron in your system can be very detrimental. Almost all modern multivitamins contain zinc. The worry of galvanizing is that in the first half of the 20th century galvanized materials contained a large amount of lead. This was because of the low melting point and rust preventing properties of lead. Once it was understood how toxic lead was the manufacturers removed it and replaced it with zinc. People still think of galvanization as poisonous. Note: electro welding of zinc alloys can have toxic effects.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Zinc is pretty much a nonissue when considering our health. As with almost any element too much can be harmful. Too much iron in your system can be very detrimental. Almost all modern multivitamins contain zinc. The worry of galvanizing is that in the first half of the 20th century galvanized materials contained a large amount of lead. This was because of the low melting point and rust preventing properties of lead. Once it was understood how toxic lead was the manufacturers removed it and replaced it with zinc. People still think of galvanization as poisonous. Note: electro welding of zinc alloys can have toxic effects.
I wonder how long ago a lot of lead was used in galvanizing? This may be why my galvanized tub doesn't have any rust and it is at least 60 years old. That, and I never build a big fire underneath it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Heavy Metal Baby. If it is toxic to biology then it has a majority chance to be toxic to a process involving oxygen or even oxidation. Temps are in play, those seductive tendrils of temperature, but energy state is a thing,thang, or grossly thung.

And an edit about lead pipe.
Just an American with copper pipe and edit about lead pipe.

Nobody here
(wink) is from Europe and therefore they cannot expand on the Roman pipe or other Brilliant engineering ideas that moved society along to the the...oh wow... hey i will brb....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's been a couple of weeks and the tomatoes that are going to sprout have. The picture shows the light dusting of cornmeal
114.JPG

I will let them get their 1st set of true leaves and then remove the weakest. There are 2 plants in most of the root trainer containers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, does anyone know where I can find micronized Greensand? I want it to react a bit faster with the soil. I’m not very happy with conventional coarse/sandy Greensand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, does anyone know where I can find micronized Greensand? I want it to react a bit faster with the soil. I’m not very happy with conventional coarse/sandy Greensand.
I think real greensand is a thing of the past. It used to be mined here in Texas but they mined it all out. The stuff now is a brownish color and nothing like the old. Planet Natural sell what I have heard is the real thing and it is micronized but it is also $50.00 a bag. Greensand no mater what color or micronized or not is not fast acting, but, once in the soil lasts for many years.

Ask a Question