Slightly off-topic, but... are microgreens as nutritious as the actual veg?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So for example, a broccoli microgreen, some of which are germinating happily on my shelf as we speak - I heard that a microgreen of a vegetable contains all the nutrients of a full-grown veg? It sounds wonderful, but is it true? More on-topic, I grow microgreens in a sprouting tray with cotton shoelaces threaded all around and cut ends sticking down into the bottom of the tray which is filled with water, so they wick water to the greens. They grow so much better than when I had to remember to water them!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It's an interesting question to me. AI says the answer is yes: "Microgreens are rich in nutrients. They often contain larger amounts of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants than their more mature counterparts."

But it also says it depends on the variety...some are, some are not.

A different use of microgreens for me is in short term soil replenishment. I have seen significant benefits from microgreens turned back into the soil. In a matter of days, it is possible to achieve some degree of soil replenishment and incorporate the benefits of crop rotation by using excess seeds. Situations such as recently harvested space and wintertime warm spells work well.

short cover.JPG

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Microgreens are often as nutritious, if not more so, than their mature vegetable counterparts. They are harvested just after the first leaves develop, usually one to three weeks after germination, making them very nutrient-dense. This means they often contain higher levels of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants per gram compared to the mature plants. Studies have shown that microgreens can have significantly higher levels of vitamins like C, E, and K. They are also rich in essential minerals and antioxidants.

The nutritional content varies depending on the plant species. For example, red cabbage microgreens are known for high vitamin C content, while cilantro microgreens are rich in carotenoids. The nutritional value can also be influenced by growing conditions, including soil type and light exposure.

Ask a Question