Salutations!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone and thank you for all those who chose to view and read this post.

I've always wanted my own garden and I'm finally well on my way to starting one. Soon I will be a proud veggie gardener, with a bit of fruit too. I recently moved from Connecticut to central Florida with my mother after graduation and I have a place to actually start a garden! I've done so much research and I'm excited to just actually do it. My only concern about growing is where I'm growing... Florida. The heat is crazy! The growing medium I can manipulate at my whim since I'm using a raised bed, but the scorching heat is what making me scratch my head. So I'm figuring I will start probably towards the end of August after we hit the apex of heat for the year.

I'd post a picture of the tiny garden I have, but I'm a lil embarrassed! Though I do have a small raised bed area that have a few tomato plants and peppers. Tomato plants are nice, as you probably know, since they have deep roots. And pepper plants just looove the heat so, not a bad choice for the Florida climate. Plus, I got a small compost area going. I promise I'll post pictures soon! I just need time. Moving and getting settled isn't easy, but I will get into gardening much more very soon.

Anyways, can't wait to meet nice folk around here. Come say hi! If you have any suggestions for Florida gardening, go for it. Florida is just so radically different from where I used to live, so at first I was thinking "Will anything even live in this heat?" Haha, silly question.

One last thing. I know greenhouses and their intentions, but would plants do alright in green houses in Florida? My initial thought would be "They would just cook!" However, some houses have roof panels that lift up, would those be to expel the excess heat? I've wondered what the function of those were.

Okay, that's enough for now. I know I'm kinda all over the place. Thank you so much for your time. I really do appreciate it.

Be well and take care,
Alexander

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome!! I have no clue about hot-climate gardening but many forum members are from southern states and other hot parts of the world. :)

Don't be embarassed...a garden is a garden, whether a few containers on a balcony, a small plot or a showcase. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum! (y)

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Welcome to the Forum!

I'm excited for you and cannot wait to see what you grow in your garden.

Wishing you good luck...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:) A warm welcome to you Alexander! There are so many plants that would love the opportunity to grow in Zone 9b and love the heat and humidity. I don't know about the value of a greenhouse. Where i live in zone 11 is a greenhouse so i have no use for one. There are a couple of things you can do about the heat. First, mulch your plants very well with at least 3 inches of a mulch of your choice. Leaves are good. Many people including myself have shade screen structures to filter the sun. When i am starting seeds, i usually start them under an area with a shade screen to protect the tender new plants. Some people say that Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) help to protect plants from sunburn but i have never used it. I mostly use taller plants (like palms) to provide filtered sun for the plants that are not so tall. Many plants can tolerate and actually love full sun, which in my area can be 10 hours a day. For other references, you can search "heat loving vegetable plants for zone 9" and/or you can start a thread at this site.There are some members living in usda zone 9b who will have lots of good tips for you. You will can also grow a wide variety of fruits where you live, if you have the space. You will be an explorer gardener and you will learn many things.(y)

Ask a Question