Rolly pollies

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just an observation. I had rolly pollies eating my tomatoes and basil. When I did some research it said they will only eat living things if they don't have enough tender dead or dying plant matter. I decided to put my kitchen scraps in the garden instead of compost, on top of soil. That instantly solved problem. Also as I observed scraps after a couple days I see I had alot of centipedes which eat the rolly pollies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
those are the little bugs that roll up in a tight ball right? have not heard that term since I moved from ohio back in the 80s

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've heard them called that often online in the US. Here they are usually called wood bugs, sometimes woodlice. Roly polies here are a dessert.. delicious.. now I'm hungry lol 😂

Aprocot-roly-poly-pudding-ImageCard-575x300.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Huh. They have been called rollie pollies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. That looks like a cinnamon bun with a slice of orange or maybe a peach. Never saw that 'round here.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Huh. They have been called rollie pollies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. That looks like a cinnamon bun with a slice of orange or maybe a peach. Never saw that 'round here.
That's another pic I found, not mine. There are a lot of different recipes for them but the way I've always known them is when making pies using the leftover pie crust sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon then rolled up and baked. They are like a cinnamon bun but more thin and flaky because of the pie crust.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting bugs, there are more than one species, around 5,000 world wide, and most can't roll up (conglobate). They are crustacea, that have adapted to land living and excrete ammonia, I think the only land animals like that.

Ask a Question