Rolly Pollies

Reaction score
Country
United States
I admit, I don't know there technical bug name but I know them as rolly pollies. They are these little bugs that when touched roll up into a ball. Lately, they have come out in full force right near our front door and I am not sure what is attracting them or how to get rid of them. We had a bunch of English Ivy that was pulled up a few months ago so there is really nothing next to the entrance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Rolly Pollies aka pill bugs are attracted to decaying plant matter. To get rid of them make for sure you seal your outside trash tight and don't leave any decaying plant matter around. Then get some diatomaceous earth (Home Depot has it) and sprinkle it around the property, it's non toxic to humans and animals but dehydrates them when they come in contact and eventually kills them.

Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I thought pill bugs were partial to seedlings. Are they the same bug as the one you are referring to that eats decaying plant matter? If so is it safe to use that product when you are going to plant seeds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I admit, I don't know there technical bug name but I know them as rolly pollies. They are these little bugs that when touched roll up into a ball. Lately, they have come out in full force right near our front door and I am not sure what is attracting them or how to get rid of them. We had a bunch of English Ivy that was pulled up a few months ago so there is really nothing next to the entrance.
Trap them. Get a straight sided jar and bury it. Put in a slice of apple or little beer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hate rolly pollies!:eek: They scare me. But I'm pretty sure they don't harm plants. There is no need to get rid of them. I have them in my garden too and I let them live even though they're so ugly and creepy:unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I could be mistaken, but I thought pill bugs were partial to seedlings. Are they the same bug as the one you are referring to that eats decaying plant matter? If so is it safe to use that product when you are going to plant seeds?
They eat both seedlings and decaying plant matter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rolly Pollies aka pill bugs are attracted to decaying plant matter. To get rid of them make for sure you seal your outside trash tight and don't leave any decaying plant matter around. Then get some diatomaceous earth (Home Depot has it) and sprinkle it around the property, it's non toxic to humans and animals but dehydrates them when they come in contact and eventually kills them.

Thanks!!! I haven't heard of this product before. I looked it up and it sounds great. I am going to get some this weekend and give it a try.
I really hope it does the trick.

Ask a Question