Roll Call - What's Your Growing Zone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
To be honest I'm very disconnected with this kind of stuff, because I no longer grow anything (but I will soon). I'm not sure how growing will go in the place where I'll be living, I think Ill need a lot help in that department! Over here I was able to grow a little bit of everything during the whole year, but the place I'm going to... it seems it's impossible to successfully grow fruit trees there (or so I've been told). Which is sad because I was dreaming of growing a lemon tree :(
Where are you moving to? You can grow lemons just about anyplace that isn't cold

Reaction score
Where are you moving to? You can grow lemons just about anyplace that isn't cold

Hi Chuck! I'm moving to Europe, to be more exact the Netherlands (north). I was told it wasn't possible to successfully grow a lemon tree in the garden, but to be honest the winter over there isn't that bad! Not as bad as Scandinavia! What do you think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck! I'm moving to Europe, to be more exact the Netherlands (north). I was told it wasn't possible to successfully grow a lemon tree in the garden, but to be honest the winter over there isn't that bad! Not as bad as Scandinavia! What do you think?
I doubt you can successfully grow any citrus there, not because of the temperature but because of daylight length, if what I have heard is true about the day length in the northern climates. But you could easily grow a lemon tree there with the right artificial light setup

Reaction score
I doubt you can successfully grow any citrus there, not because of the temperature but because of daylight length, if what I have heard is true about the day length in the northern climates. But you could easily grow a lemon tree there with the right artificial light setup

Uhm yeah, I was fearing you'd say that! You mean keeping it inside a well illuminated green house? Gosh, they say that swamp is so fertile, but what's the point of it if you can't freely grow lemon trees! Do you think I'll have troubles growing other things there? Like for example chilies and Physalis philadelphica?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Uhm yeah, I was fearing you'd say that! You mean keeping it inside a well illuminated green house? Gosh, they say that swamp is so fertile, but what's the point of it if you can't freely grow lemon trees! Do you think I'll have troubles growing other things there? Like for example chilies and Physalis philadelphica?
Not a greenhouse. You probably couldn't keep it warm enough. A lemon doesn't grow as a "tree" unless you prune it to do so. It is a bush and can easily be maintained as one. I kept one in a large container inside for at least 6 years until I had to move and was unable to take it with me.. As far as the peppers and the tomatilla, same thing only easier because they will be a lot smaller than a lemon bush. Especially chilli peppers where some varieties do not get much more than a foot tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm a 6a as well according to the USDA. Coupled with poor soil/pure clay soil- this area's depressing for gardening. Explains why people only grow grass lawns here and don't bother with actual plants. Don't have money or space for a raised bed atm so I'm just with my potted plants.

Ask a Question