Replenishing nutrient deficient soil midseason?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So start off, I have quite an assemble of raised beds (raised ground and planter boxes). I was a little misinformed that I needed to water my garden daily. This sort of washed out a lot of nutrients and my plants slowed their growth and some started going yellow. I have another thread on the yellowing. I remedied that by using chelated liquid iron and a good dose of organic fertilizer. Plants seem ok now and new growth is very green ,however, it has rained hard every day the past week. I feel even more nutrients are gonna be washed out.

What would be the best way to refresh the soil in these beds with nutrients so they have feed for the next few months (besides the usual fertilizing)?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
By using organic fertilizers it takes much longer for the NPK to leach away. This is because of the CEC (cation exchange capacity) of organic fertilizers. Organic fertilizers and manures literally adhere themselves to soil particles making them much more difficult to wash away. Synthetic fertilizers are the opposite. Minerals such as iron, zinc, magnesium, boron, and others are needed by plants in very small quantities and are easily added or replaced with products such as Liquid Seaweed, Liquid Kelp and fish emulsion. In this case, just your regular organic fertilizing will be sufficient and with the addition of the seaweed or fish keep your soil in top condition.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hmm..So fast...do me now. Makes me feel..naughty. Seriously bad question. Context is blown off the planet into outerspace. Chuck tried. Its raised bed so look to amino acids. I say this because composted manures can be risky with the long lasting whatever kills weeds and makes us money chemicals. It is no joke that proteins (aminos) and carbohydrates feed soil.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Another quick question: I discovered the PH of the soil in most of my beds is 5-5.5. Should I raise the ph now and if so, what would be the best method considering I am halfway through the season?

I have two beds that I formed last year that have a ph of 6 and they are doing very well. I will leave those alone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Another quick question: I discovered the PH of the soil in most of my beds is 5-5.5. Should I raise the ph now and if so, what would be the best method considering I am halfway through the season?

I have two beds that I formed last year that have a ph of 6 and they are doing very well. I will leave those alone.
There isn't a fast way to raise Ph. This fall add lime to the beds and again in the spring. What makes you think your soil is 5 - 5.5. Unless you have a GOOD Ph meter you will get false readings.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck

I bought the highest rated ph/moister meter on Amazon. I know it is not 100% spot on but should give a close estimate, right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck

I bought the highest rated ph/moister meter on Amazon. I know it is not 100% spot on but should give a close estimate, right?
I did the same thing and threw mine in the trash. Get in touch with oneeye about meters. He knows a lot more about them than I do.

Ask a Question