Raised Beds/Crop Rotate or Not

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No, not every year and not every location. From experience I know what I need to do to achieve "No N, P, K required" status.

I now only test in special situations such as some experiment I'm running or other special situation.

To get a baseline, in your case, I would probably mix samples from the containers and send that in for one test and mix samples from the 32 sq. ft bed and send that in as the second test sample. That should give you a good baseline starting point.
Thanks for advice.
This site is very helpful

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't rotate crops that I build structures for. Cucumbers and indeterminate tomatoes stay in the same bed. However, you will find over time micronutrient deficiencies. Add fertilizer and compost. Amend micros as necessary.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The principal reason for rotation for me is insect and soil borne diseases control. In decades of following this practice of rotation, I never have fungal problems and almost never have insect problems.
You nailed it exactly, it's all about disease control. I have 5 4x8 raised beds that I rotate my tomatoes in trying to control early blight. After so many years I'm to the point now where I'm going to have to find some beds somewhere else for a few years as no matter what I do to deal with the blight including vetch cover crop and mulch, the problem is getting worse. I'm also to the point now where I'm now spraying copper fungicide on the soil to try and kill all those spores. I also rotate my garlic beds every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You nailed it exactly, it's all about disease control. I have 5 4x8 raised beds that I rotate my tomatoes in trying to control early blight. After so many years I'm to the point now where I'm going to have to find some beds somewhere else for a few years as no matter what I do to deal with the blight including vetch cover crop and mulch, the problem is getting worse. I'm also to the point now where I'm now spraying copper fungicide on the soil to try and kill all those spores. I also rotate my garlic beds every year.
The only way I found to control any blight on tomatoes is to use copper spray. All indeterminate tomatoes should last until freeze. Some varieties are more resistant than others. I grow the same ones year after year so I know what do to keep them going.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The only way I found to control any blight on tomatoes is to use copper spray. All indeterminate tomatoes should last until freeze. Some varieties are more resistant than others. I grow the same ones year after year so I know what do to keep them going.

MOD
It does depend on the soil and if it's had tomatoes in the past. My blight was real bad last year but to friends that I gave plants to last year they had no issues with blight. I sure hope the copper works as a soil drench as I have 1 bed at a community garden that I'm strictly using for heirloom indeterminates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I here you, I don't have enough beds to rotate yet. Not sure how to solve this problem, or if it can be solved.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I have 12 raised beds 3'x8' (plus a 10'x3' for strawberries) but I don't put my indeterminate tomatoes in them at all. I plant them in paths and corners of the garden and rotate those around. As @MiniOrchardDude built permanent trellising and the like I built semi-portable tomato trellises that get placed where I rotate the vines to each year. I tend to grow cucumbers along my garden fence so they're in the same location each year but rooted in different places along the fence. The A-Frame tomato trellis / ladders I have also fit right over the faux winebarrel planter containers I have in a few places.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I do rotate but not in any particular pattern, mainly I just try to go a couple years before planting in the same place.
I use my garden fence for pickles, tomatoes, beans and peas. I also have a couple small trellis that I move around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It does depend on the soil and if it's had tomatoes in the past. My blight was real bad last year but to friends that I gave plants to last year they had no issues with blight. I sure hope the copper works as a soil drench as I have 1 bed at a community garden that I'm strictly using for heirloom indeterminates.
I dont use it as a soil drench but to spray the foliage. Protecting the foliage would be better than trying to remove something that will be there year after year in the soil. Maybe both would work best but you are limited to the amount you can use or the ground absorbs. The amount of blight is dependent on the environment also.

I am going on 10 years in a row planting tomatoes in the same spot. Just like everything else some years are great and some are just good. Constant high humidity and a wet year will be a year of diseases and constant spraying. You cant change that so every year will be different. Took me several years to get my tomatoes to make it until frost. Now they make it every year.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I dont use it as a soil drench but to spray the foliage. Protecting the foliage would be better than trying to remove something that will be there year after year in the soil. Maybe both would work best but you are limited to the amount you can use or the ground absorbs. The amount of blight is dependent on the environment also.

I am going on 10 years in a row planting tomatoes in the same spot. Just like everything else some years are great and some are just good. Constant high humidity and a wet year will be a year of diseases and constant spraying. You cant change that so every year will be different. Took me several years to get my tomatoes to make it until frost. Now they make it every year.

MOD
No doubt much of that depends on the variety itself and how much natural resistance it has to blight. In my case these old Greek heirlooms have none. No chance I'm going to give up on them though, they are without a doubt the best tomatoes I've ever had and when I share some plants I get the same response.

Ask a Question