Raised Bed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thinking of putting this in my Greenhouse for Raised Bed.

I could cut Barrels in half but still be few inches short but gain about 3 inches in depth.

Or I could just buy the Rubber Bunk for it for around $15.

I'm thinking of cutting down some Barrels, painting them Black setting them under my main shelf, filling with water, put Fish in, let excess water drain into them and use an RV pump to water everything out of the Barrels.

big rockpile
20230521_144145.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Have to say I'm a bit lost as to what you're thinking about doing with this steel rack.

There are a ton of ways to do aquaponics, while I have no experience yet, I know it is a bit more complicated than put some fish in here and the water goes to plants there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No No No I'm stating two different things.

Let's just go with the steal rack. I can cut the Blue Barrels in half, put on the rack but with 3 half going to be 3 inches short but will still be about 3 inches deeper on soil than if I buy the rubber bunk for it for around $15.

Thinking of using this as a Raised Bed in my Greenhouse.

This is what I originally was going to do with the Barrels.

big rockpile

20220404_091340_IMG_0689.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
The half round barrel idea seems like a lot of work and expense for no gain. The only reason to do a raised container ledge like that is if you can't use the ground soil or need to do a layered system. On the other hand the barrels greatly reduce the capacity of the system and will require more watering and maintenance than without the barrel contraption.

Is the ground usable? If you're dead set on using the metal frame put some type of material on the side as a panel and use it as a raised bed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to use it in my Greenhouse.

Going to Winter Vegetables in my Greenhouse. Use Pro Mix HP to fill it. Mix in Rainbow Pro Mix Grow fertilizer.

big rockpile

20220404_090051_IMG_0688.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They will make ok raised beds, but for goodness sake don't put fish in there. There isn't enough depth for fish, and they would cook in there. Great for plants though (y)
I would love to have your greenhouse - I lost mine to make room for a great big shed :cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Oh what I could do with that greenhouse - I can already hear my wife asking "where would it go" when really saying "No" to the question.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thinking of putting a 4 foot shelf over it. And two 1 foot shelves up, plus Potting area and couple Pallets to set bigger plants on.

I can't drive or do much of anything might as well garden.

Oh already can I mow your yard, another need help pulling weeds?

Hey leave something for me to do. Oh was told my Dog was like me. I'm old and don't have to listen to you.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am also old , have stopped driving, refuse to be ''helped'' to cross the road, and keep digging even if it kills me, but my mum told me a long time ago that it's no good at all getting old if you don't learn to get crafty. When it comes to listening...... it's just hard luck if my ears don't work any more.
In the winter, you could always get yourself an easel and some paints and paint a Mona Lisa - or something :giggle:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Two years ago I tried driving. Hit a sign. I tend to be somewhere I wasn't intending to go.

Use to cut Firewood with one hand. The people described it was too dangerous.

I do ok in the garden don't need much help. You know it is hard to operate a Wheelbarrow with one Arm?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The half round barrel idea seems like a lot of work and expense for no gain. The only reason to do a raised container ledge like that is if you can't use the ground soil or need to do a layered system. On the other hand the barrels greatly reduce the capacity of the system and will require more watering and maintenance than without the barrel contraption.

Is the ground usable? If you're dead set on using the metal frame put some type of material on the side as a panel and use it as a raised bed.
No the ground is not usable there was a drive there and I put gravel down.

And also if I get down I can't get up.

big rockpile

Last edited:

Ask a Question