Rain damaged my Zucchini plants. How do I prevent?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I started a small vegetable garden and some heavy rain flattened my zucchini squash plants. They were standing so tall and pretty, until the rain hit. Now they are flattened. Should I be concerned? Will they start to stand tall again? Should I put some more soil on the stems to make them stand up again? Help!
CD3CF68C-A03F-4CC6-AB56-19E46695B481.jpeg
2CB67F88-727E-49CD-BBE2-FDF44BA7DAB6.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't worry, they will stand back up and be fine. Just give them a little time. But, from looking at the pictures it appears that you have 2 or 3 plants growing together. And they are all growing too close to each other. They should be at least 2 feet apart. Squash plants get BIG and if too close together shade each other thus reducing or stopping production.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes they will stand back up. I plant my yellow squash 5' apart which is almost the same plant, I think?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If they are bush plants, then, as Chuck says, they are too close together, & remove the two middle ones & place elsewhere, however, if they are vines, they can be trained West, South, East, North, & you'll get away with that.
This is often done with other cucurbiteae, like ridge cucumbers.
Your sweetcorn may give you more trouble, as they like to be grown in blocks of at least 4x4.

Ask a Question