Pruning shrubs for winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's been years since I planted any sort of shrub/bush. This year I planted Weigelia and butterfly bushes.

Simple question I think...should I prune or cut them back, now that winter is descending? Wait until spring? Do nothing? (We have had several freezes, snow in the forecast, and everything is pretty much dead/dormant now.)

All my other perennials, I either leave alone or cut back yellowed and dead leaves. Just not sure about the bushy-type ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't cut back my Butterfly bush until spring when I see new growth. I only cut back my Weigelia when it gets out of shape or get in my way

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Sorry to come to the party late, but I had to look up in my old gardening book about weigelia. It is best to prune them in spring right after they bloom. If you prune now, you'll be cutting off next year's blossoms.
I am assuming the butterfly bush is a buddelia, which flowers on new wood. Again, an early spring pruning will give you blooms.
When we lived in upstate NY (zone 6b) I pruned both in late February, if I could find the bushes under the snow ;)!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
For the Weigelia's I prune out any limbs that are shooting for heaven. I prune out any that are rubbing to hard on each other taking out the one that look the least visually appealing. And then I stand back and give it a good look, then I do some minor shaping. This same type of pruning I use for Viberums. and mock orange shrubs. and other really twiggy shrubs. Now Hydrangeas are a different animal to work with, you have to know if it flowers on new growth or old growth before you ever begin. It also depends on where your Weigelias are located. I have a grouping of french lace ones, which are not touched ever, they just grow into themselves. and can do whatever, as there is plenty of room there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks guys! :)

I cut back one of my butterfly bushes just a few days ago because it got bigger than I expected and in the driveway, was sort of getting in my way when entering and exiting my vehicle. So that got me wondering.

I'll leave the rest until spring.

Ask a Question