zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ta :)

Stanley knife mainly, some consolation that she still says it's one of her favourite things :cry:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've always loved geodes. When you look at the outside, they look like just an ordinary rock, nothing special or particularly pretty. But when you break them open, they are stunning - with all the different colors they come in and the complex, unique crystal formations.

I wish I knew what rocks to look for, that have geodes inside of them. I think that would be a fun past time, mining for them.

Wouldn't this be beautiful in a garden, maybe with a water feature?
geode-2.jpg

This one's interesting with the white and black crystals
geode.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I just happened to see "dripping springs" and decided to check out who wasw there, as I have been through the area a few years ago, and found all the beautiful stuff about the gemstones, once a very serious hobby for me ( I still have quite a few uncut opals). Guess I need to get back to my workshop, especially the faceting grade opal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How have I missed this topic until now??! Lots of lovely rocks here that's for sure, thanks for your informative posts @R.R. (y) Ian and I have been interested in geology for years now (turns out that we both used to collect the same magazine when we were kids - 'Treasures of the Earth' - which came with a different sample mineral each week) and more recently we've started our own collection. I think my favourites out of the minerals we've got are Labradorite and desert rose, but I'd love to get an nice specimen of opal. I'll try and get some photos.

Must be nice to get the raw rocks and discover them for yourself, I'm tempted to give it a try!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
How have I missed this topic until now??! Lots of lovely rocks here that's for sure, thanks for your informative posts @R.R. (y) Ian and I have been interested in geology for years now (turns out that we both used to collect the same magazine when we were kids - 'Treasures of the Earth' - which came with a different sample mineral each week) and more recently we've started our own collection. I think my favourites out of the minerals we've got are Labradorite and desert rose, but I'd love to get an nice specimen of opal. I'll try and get some photos.

Must be nice to get the raw rocks and discover them for yourself, I'm tempted to give it a try!
It's very addictive, Becky, but in my opinion, it's worth it :D

I'm glad you like this thread. Please post pictures!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Man this post is a heart breaker. When I was very young my dad ran a couple of different small rock quarries and when I say small they were 1 or 2-3 man operations at most. The product rock was mostly granite and quartz, back in the day it was used to decorate the sides of building and alike. Anyway over the course of time he found many interesting odd rocks and rock types and some where brought home and just left around the side yard. The heart breaking part is at some time later after I had moved out he had got rid of them all :(. I guess the only saving grace is there used to be a couple of specimens of rocks he had found at the local Natural History Museum. What I wouldn't give to have those rocks back... for many reasons.

Ask a Question