Potatoes dug up today.

Reaction score
Country
United States
March 15, I planted 1 grocery russet seed potato that weighed 10 ounces it had 13 eyes with 13 sprouts. I planted the whole potato, not cuttings. It grew 13 plants and today 6/10/2024 I dug up 6 bs. 7 oz. of new russet potatoes. There are lots of small potatoes for stew. Several medium & some larger potatoes.

I also planted 1 Dutch Blue grocery store seed potato weight 1.4 oz. with 3 very small eyes and today I dug up 1 lb. 7 oz. of new potatoes.

101_9148.jpg
101_9147.jpg
101_9149.jpg

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Did you harvest the 720 pounds of new potatoes that you predicted?

So, at 71 pounds of seed potatoes and 720 cut seed pieces that would be about 1.6 ounces per cut on average. That is about 20% less than the 2-ounce size I consider minimum for seed pieces.

I will be interested in your harvest amount. If you get the 720 pounds forecast from 71 pounds of seed, that would be a productivity ratio of just over 10 pounds of new potatoes per pound of seed potato. For reds that is low, but for white is very good. Since you have a mix, it will be interesting to hear the results.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you harvest the 720 pounds of new potatoes that you predicted?
So far I have only harvest potatoes because wife said, no potatoes in the pantry, dig some potatoes for dinner. A few days ago I dug up 4 plants and got 10½ lbs. of new potatoes. Today I dug up 1 russet and 1 Dutch Blue and got 8½ lbs. I have 94 more plants to dig up. Plants are not dying yet. I will dig them up as we eat them. After plants are dead and dried up then I have to dig them all up. Total so far 19 lbs. of new potatoes. 1 oz. fingerling potatoes don't add much weight to the whole crop of potatoes. I have never had a potato crop this good in TN. IL and AZ potatoes are easier to grow.

Last edited:

Ask a Question