Possibly rare avocado variety

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello fellow gardeners, I have an avocado tree in my yard and have no idea what Variety it is. The tree is probably about 11 years old or so, it’s badly pruned but very much alive. The person I bought the house from said that her friends brought the sapling up from Mexico and that it’s was a uncommon “bushing” variety.

the reason I am posting this is that in thedecade that we have had this tree it has never fruited. I want to figure out if it’s a type A or B and or howi can fertilize the flowers to get it to fruit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
E1C9D460-90A4-4D12-B9DE-8D90289472AB.jpeg
E1C9D460-90A4-4D12-B9DE-8D90289472AB.jpeg
C98B322D-059C-49E1-B8D8-B5AEC222A061.jpeg
2DFDB194-7495-4397-B508-92B2A07F6E97.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
You need a pollinator the best production of fruit so two avocado trees are required. If you have two trees growing in the same garden, your yield should be higher than that from two trees growing by themselves. There are some cultivars naturally bear fruit only every other year and not every year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I recently learned about A and B type Avocado trees. I'm just trying to figure out if I have an A or a B variety. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For home fruit tree growers the flowering type of an avocado tree is not really important. A commercial grower on the other hand needs to maximize production so mixing flower types is important to financial success. The weather in most of the US is changeable enough that the flowers don’t synchronize like they do in Mexico and Guatemala so at least some flowers are receptive and some are producing pollen at any time during the day. If you want to improve fruit set anyway, any other variety will do. Since you don’t know which one you have you can pick any variety you want. The only other way to tell is to observe a flower in the morning or afternoon and see if it’s producing or receptive to pollen because the plants all look the same.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the fantastic information! I’m going to grab a Hass and give it see how it goes. Thank you!

Ask a Question