Need tree ID'ed - possibly from Britain

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was told this deciduous, broadleaf tree hails from Great Britain. It is my understanding it will mature at 20'-30'. It is VERY fragrant in the fall, is a fast grower, and throws off starts like crazy. I am delighted with it and want to donate youngsters to upcoming animal welfare charity bash. Certainly identification and attendant information would be helpful to purchasers.
IMG_3400.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3401.JPG
    IMG_3401.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 299

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Might be a Walnut ?

Reaction score
I'm not sure that I would agree with you on this one zigs - as it very definitely doesn't look like a walnut to me and certainly nothing like the ones growing in my garden.

I was however wondering if you could give us a close up shot of the leaves Biggles - as although I thinking it may possibly be either one of the many " cercis candadensis " varieties - commonly known as Redbud Trees or maybe even " cercidiphyllum " - commonly known as the Katsura Tree - it would be much easier to identify with a closer look at the foliage :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lovely of you both to have pitched in on this. The leaves on the Katsura I have are MUCH smaller than this tree's which are 6"-7" long. A couple more snapshots then:
IMG_3404.jpg
IMG_3405.JPG

Reaction score
Lovely of you both to have pitched in on this. The leaves on the Katsura I have are MUCH smaller than this tree's which are 6"-7" long. A couple more snapshots then:

In that case very definitely not " cercis candadensis " - in fact on looking at the close up shots of the leaves - although I could of course be wrong here - I'm even more convinced that what you have is one of the rarer larger leaved Katsura varieties - " Cercidiphyllum magnificum " - not only because of the leaf shape - but because Katsuras are about the only tree that I can think of that have an fall/autumn fragrance.

Just had a thought - as you can see your trees in real life - are the leaves of your smaller leaved Katsura tree - which is probably " cercidiphyllum japonica " - similar to the ones shown here ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh Gata, I do believe you have nailed this. It would seem I have the "magnificum." And your timing couldn't be more welcome for this very day i must deliver the young trees. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is not a Kadsura Tree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum or C. magnificum). The leaf venation is wrong... and it's certainly not a walnut...

First, what do we know (or think we know). Deciduous, to 30 or 40 feet, toothed, opposite leaves, fragrant flowers in Autumn. The OP claims its from Britain, but it is not native to there. It may be something rare and choice. I wonder if the OP got it at Heronswood?

It might be a Clerodendrum. The leaves seem similar, but different to Rose Glorybower (Clerodendrum bungei), but there are many other species of Clerodendrum. I think Harlequin Glory-bower (Clerodendrum trichotomum) is a distinct possibility.

@Larisa : What do think it is?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh my! I posted six years ago! Whatever, I have since confirmed that indeed both trees are Harlequin Glorybowers. Well done, Marck. :)

Ask a Question