Please Identify

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know what these are? These tall leafy stocks with a bulb root system just started popping up. I collected some and put them in pots...the closest thing ive seen online is hosta "invincible" or cast iron plants although the leaves dont spread the same.
20201027_161354.jpg
20201027_161329.jpg
20201027_161317.jpg
20201027_161258.jpg
excuse the peach seed in the pot..my children were helping ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just consulted @zigs on this one, and we think it could be Phytolacca decandra - aka american pokeweed. If we are right, this plant is highly toxic. The best thing to do is wear gloves and dispose of it. It can cause dermatitis and will get in through any tiny scratch on the skin.
I`ll see if I can find a link.
We also know this plant is used in homeopathy - as are other poisonous plants.

NB We really hope we have got this one wrong, and @Mrsclem is right, because Scadoxus multiflorus is much nicer :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh good @Mrsclem - we`re fortunate not to have this weed here (fingers crossed) mind you we do have loads of ground elder and bindweed to contend with. There are of course many many plants that live in different parts of the world that we do not know, and it is one of the things about belonging to a forum that attracts members worldwide that we can learn so much from.

By the way @Rockielle Welcome to the forum (y) and can we see a photo when your plants flower please :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh good @Mrsclem - we`re fortunate not to have this weed here (fingers crossed) mind you we do have loads of ground elder and bindweed to contend with. There are of course many many plants that live in different parts of the world that we do not know, and it is one of the things about belonging to a forum that attracts members worldwide that we can learn so much from.

By the way @Rockielle Welcome to the forum (y) and can we see a photo when your plants flower please :)
Thank you. And Yes definately...thats what I've been waiting for...its been about 3 months since we 1st saw them. Its almost winter here now though. Hopefully Sometime next year we'll have more clues. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
These are gorgeous...I hope so :)
They are blood lilies. Positive ID using pictu...Thank you all.
Thank you. And Yes definately...thats what I've been waiting for...its been about 3 months since we 1st saw them. Its almost winter here now though. Hopefully Sometime next year we'll have more clues. :)
They are blood lilies. Positive ID using "picture this" app...Thank you all for your help. ☺ unfortunately they didnt get to bloom this spring. We had a late freeze and they wilted down to the bulb...hopefully they survived.

Ask a Question