Please HELP! My plants are suffering :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tomatoes, peppers and just about any garden vegetable is very sensitive to soil temperatures. If the soil temperature is too low the plants will grow VERY slowly if at all. Most spring garden vegetables do best at between 65F-75F.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@baniberry - I know clay seems to be impregnable. I have been here for 25 years and in certain part, my clay soil is still 7 inches thick and feels like brick. But just remember, clay is a very rich medium to grow on, much better than sand. You could try growing potatoes or carrots just to break up the texture. Add grit by and by. Or you could, like me, put a raised bed, and put in some well rotted horse manure, some used old compost and then good soil and grow something that is not vegetables. Sweetcorn is a possible, but you have to plant them a bit deeper as they are going to be heavy and may fall wayside if the roots are not deep enough to anchor them. Vegetables is possible, but spinach, rocket and pak choi tend to bolt very quickly if it gets hot. I have about 6 of these raised beds, all slapped on clay bed like hard rock as it hadn't been dug for 24 years.

I slapped some garden soil, some ash from burnt cuttings - cistus, old dry turf as the stinky smell deters slugs and snails. Some decent shop bought compost and just sow direct with a netting on top. I have covered them until harvesting or the leaves will be peppered with holes and I wouldn't want to touch them, let alone eat them.
SAM_4208.JPG

Beneath this layer of shop bought compost is burnt ash from vegetative matters and woods.

Here, sweetcorns (they have to be planted close in a grid or the wind pollination won't work and you will have no corns) Spinach has already bolted.

SAM_4212.JPG

See, a gap in the net lets in nasties and the pak chois no longer look pretty!
SAM_4211.JPG

Or get a up tub and plant up melons, beans...You could also try squash - butternut squash is easy, delicious and cutting the blessed elongated squash shouldn't cause self-injury, unlike pumpkin.
SAM_4210.JPG

Always being netted.
SAM_4209.JPG

Pak Chois are starting to bolt as they prefer cooler temperature. You could try spring onions which germinate readily and instant reward is very encouraging. Those growing here are Sugar Snap Sugar Blush which I will need some stick for them to cling onto.
SAM_4208.JPG

By all means try Spinach, Pak choi or rocket when it is a bit cooler! Try beans - broad beans are full of proteins and they store well. Runner beans and sugar snaps or mange tout are not fussy. Don't be discouraged. You're more or less on the right track.

Ask a Question