Plastic free gardening

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
These days I find plants in plastic containers in nurseries. I have started to dislike buying plants due to piling of those containers at home. Why don't these nursery men put them in clay pots?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I often re-use my plastic pots. If you have more than you can use, perhaps donate them to a local grower, or agricultural or horticultural school.

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
I don't find plastic pots are as best as clay lots. Reusing them is off the choice. Here no one takes even if you donate.

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
Nurseries prefer plastic pots due to their easy transportation. But when they brittle they break into small pieces mixing with soil. Which adds up to polluting soil. Why not use alternatives? I have started to use coconut shells for seeding. Lemon/orange skin cup works great too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Certainly, various bio-degradable options are becoming more popular. Another option is to use sturdier plastic that is fully intended to be re-used. Perhaps, the pots will even have a deposit some day, like glass and aluminum do now, in parts of the U.S. anyway.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cost and watering, unless they are glazed clay pots. I have just taken down my runners and have lots of beans for next year. My friend who lays out gardens gets lots of pots and passes some on to me. Next year I will probably give away more than twenty or thirty individually grown bean plants, there will be people relying on it :) There will be plenty of other things too.
But yes, as soon as a pot cracks, in the bin with it before it breaks up and gets in everything!

PS, my bane is expanded polystyrene, people give me the little six packs, and I admit I recently sowed sweet peas in half a dozen newish ones, but once they age a little those little white balls get everywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nurseries prefer plastic pots due to their easy transportation. But when they brittle they break into small pieces mixing with soil. Which adds up to polluting soil. Why not use alternatives? I have started to use coconut shells for seeding. Lemon/orange skin cup works great too.
actually it has to do with moisture retention in small containers as well. Clay will lose moisture. Some plants like it, some do not.

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
I often re-use my plastic pots. If you have more than you can use, perhaps donate them to a local grower, or agricultural or horticultural school.

Certainly, various bio-degradable options are becoming more popular. Another option is to use sturdier plastic that is fully intended to be re-used. Perhaps, the pots will even have a deposit some day, like glass and aluminum do now, in parts of the U

actually it has to do with moisture retention in small containers as well. Clay will lose moisture. Some plants like it, some do not.
True. But terracotta clay retains moisture to certain extent. Recently, fabric grow bags are on sale. Old denim grow bags might work well and last long.

Last edited:

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
Can pista shells be glued with terracotta clay to make a container?But will it become break free and portable?

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the U.S., plants of 1 gallon size and up, are sold in very durable nursery pots that can and should be used and reused many times. Sterilize with a weak bleach solution between uses as is prudent. I also use the common 4" molded plastic square pots several times, though they will crack after a few years.

Ask a Question