Plastic sheeting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys, I’m wondering if anyone know anything about using plastic sheeting!

I am almost finished building a square foot raised bed and I’m wanting to staple some plastics on the inside to stop the wood from rotting.

My worry is that dome plastics are harmful and I’ve just been given so black plastic sheeting from a friend.

It is quite thick but I have no-idea if it’s safe or not

anyone have any ideas or tips ect ?
Thanks you

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome, its ok, you have nothing to worry using plastic. Don't put it on the bottom of the bed, only the sides, and you will be ok. Good Luck and Happy Gardening.

Reaction score
Country
United States
if you have lined the wood with plastic sheeting, please do report back on your results.
It seems likely that such plastic would persistently trap moisture beneath it and in no way protect the wood from dampness.
Conversely, it might even accelerate fungal decomposition.
If the bed were not yet surely already finished, I would suggest to layer only half of each side in plastic and then see which side of each board persists longer. Perhaps in the future, when another similar bed is built, by anyone, this experiment could be conducted.

Ask a Question