Plants for Hummingbirds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Had such a joy this morning. Sitting on my stoop with my coffee. My zinnias (fron seed) finally some blooming. There one was, a humming bird enjoying the flowers. Just about 3 feet from me. awesome.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've lived in Canada all my life and travel from coast to coast regularly with the acception of Newfoundland and never seen a hummingbird in the winter. If they did stay, even in British Columbia they would be popsicles by Christmas. One of the worst things people can do is feed migratory birds before they migrate, they will sometimes stay because of the food then freeze to death. But growing up my mom always had tons of canna Lily's in the flower garden around the pond and there was hardly a moment humming birds were not visiting them. In the summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My hummingbird feeder comes down on Labor Day here in PA. However I do have a few flowers still blooming strong. So I leave the hummers to have the last of the flower nutrients before heading south.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The ones that stay in British Columbia for the winter are ''anna`s'' humming birds. View attachment 73294

I didn't read all the posts on here so I missed this one when I replied. I found it hard to believe but checked and they do stay the winter in BC apparently eating insects and plants. I thought even in the warmer parts of BC a humming bird would become a popsicle. That is really interesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't do feeders, because it's too much work, keeping them clean. As for what plants attract them, I think the more biodiversity you have the better. It's hard to say which plants, since the plants I use around here (i.e. Firebush....) don't do good in places such as Canada.

Also, it's been shown that a major food source for Hummers are insects, so having plants to promote a variety of insects, especially spiders is very attractive to hummers.

And then there are plants that surprise you that attract hummers. In my case it's the moringa tree, which is not native to here, it doesn't have the funnel-type flower and it's plain white color, but they love the flower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I don't do feeders, because it's too much work, keeping them clean. As for what plants attract them, I think the more biodiversity you have the better. It's hard to say which plants, since the plants I use around here (i.e. Firebush....) don't do good in places such as Canada.
My method is to bring to boil water and sugar, cool it, and fill the large clean mayo jar with it, keep it in the fridge. My one sugar/water feeder is refilled with only about 1/2 cup of the cold sugar water every 3-4 days. Easy clean of the feeder, a simple rinse out and swishing about with my hands etc. Takes me under 2 mins to do it all. Marking my calender with a big red H so I remember when I last did it.
And as many of you may know my gardens, we have plenty of blooming things for the hummers, and lots of little bugs as a wooded property encourages bugs.

Ask a Question