Pepper Plants not producing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for help with my Pepper Plants. They are not producing. I made some mistakes that I realize, but want to see if there's something else that I missed.

I started my peppers from seeds in early March. They started out OK.
I planted them into the ground in early May. They grew slowly but then stopped growing.
in Early July they were no taller than 1 foot. I ripped them out, bought new plants, some of them with fruit already growing, and tried again. I also mixed some potting mix in with the soil in the immediate area. They've grown, however I've harvested minimal peppers so far this year. Right now they are max 2 feet tall, again, not tall enough.

My mistakes:

1. Lack of fertilizer, both as new plants and as adult plants.
2. Soil - My soil is 60/40 Top Soil and Compost. It's brand new this year.
3. Walking on the bed too much. I planted too much too close together and don't have room between plants to move about.

My plan for next year:

1. A professional soil test from the county, then add fertilizer in the fall to bring it to the proper standards for next year.
2. Fertilize the seedlings properly.
3. Maintain fertilizer throughout the year and more frequent testing.
4. Add some eggshells (non-composted) Vermiculite and Perlite to my soil at the end of this season
5. Not over-plant and give myself more room to move about the garden.

Any comments or other suggestions are appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Post some pictures of the said plants and soil. I'm not really sure I see anything wrong with what you said you have done.

MISTAKES:

"1. Lack of fertilizer, both as new plants and as adult plants."
Might be but see #2.

"2. Soil - My soil is 60/40 Top Soil and Compost. It's brand new this year."
Should be sufficient for any plant. The only real thing that could be missing from that is nitrogen which would result in a real light green or yellowing plant.

"3. Walking on the bed too much. I planted too much too close together and don't have room between plants to move about."
I plant mine 2' apart in rows 3' apart so I walk kind of close to mine too although I don't walk on top of them.

PLANS:

"1. A professional soil test from the county, then add fertilizer in the fall to bring it to the proper standards for next year."
A soil test is great start but I wouldn't do one more than one every year or three.

"2. Fertilize the seedlings properly."
Seedlings are a different animal that fertilizing plants in a garden. PH is a main factor too in potting mix or peat moss or coconut coir.

"3. Maintain fertilizer throughout the year and more frequent testing."
See my signature for crop fertilizer recommendations.

"4. Add some eggshells (non-composted) Vermiculite and Perlite to my soil at the end of this season"
I think I would forget about that. Starting a compost pile is more worthy.

"5. Not over-plant and give myself more room to move about the garden."
Sounds good especially when you have to get the tiller out or have to spray the plants with something. My rows are 3' across and I kind of wish they were a little wider to maneuver amongst the crops.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are my pictures. There is one green pepper on the one, and it's a good size, however there aren't any more.

Attachments

• Pepper 01.jpeg
    Pepper 01.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 8
  • Pepper 05.jpeg
    Pepper 05.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Pepper 04.jpeg
    Pepper 04.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Pepper 03.jpeg
    Pepper 03.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Pepper 02.jpeg
    Pepper 02.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those peppers look like they are getting enough nutrients to me. My bell peppers this year have been a little shorter and less bushy and later too for some reason but they should start producing. Yours kind of looks like a cayenne or anaheim pepper plant which grows a little different than bell pepper plants. What variety are those?

Reaction score
Country
United States
In all honesty, I forget. They're emergency transplants around July 01 because my originals failed to grow as plants.

Regarding the Epson salt, is it too late for this year? I think wifey has a box of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you post a picture of the pepper?

No it isn't too late to add nutrients.

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, about 0.5 cups per plant has been distributed. I'l water tonight when it gets a little cooler.

Many of these peppers were already on the plants when I purchased them on 01-Jul-23. The Havasus and the Ricos were already growing. I finally has one of the Havasu's turn Orange last week.

Also, I have a red and Purple Bell which haven'r produced anything yet.

Attachments

• Aji Rico 1.jpeg
    Aji Rico 1.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Aji Rico 2.jpeg
    Aji Rico 2.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Bonnie Green 1.jpeg
    Bonnie Green 1.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Bonnie Green 2.jpeg
    Bonnie Green 2.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Havasu 1.jpeg
    Havasu 1.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Havasu 2.jpeg
    Havasu 2.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Red Hot Cherry 1.jpeg
    Red Hot Cherry 1.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Red Hot Cherry 2.jpeg
    Red Hot Cherry 2.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Red Hot Cherry 3.jpeg
    Red Hot Cherry 3.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Yellow  Bell 2.jpeg
    Yellow Bell 2.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Yellow Bell 1.jpeg
    Yellow Bell 1.jpeg
    264.3 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For the most part your peppers look fine although it looks like they are sitting in some shade. You want 'full sun' if you can provide it. Cut off that leaf with the red spot. You have a squash or something in the first pict that has a leaf problem.

Ask a Question