Peat Moss?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Peat moss not needed unless you're going to try to ammend the soil pH for blueberries or something. Sulfur would do better for that. No nutrients in peat moss. Compost has everything you need as far as nutrients go and it should have a neutral pH along with carbon.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although I agree with the use of compost, I have also found that bags of peat have benefited my own garden well, and with additional grit, would open up the clay very nicely. If you can easily get hold of peat, it can be used as an initial mulch on a veggie patch, and the worms will take it down into the clay to help with saturation and drainage in watering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Got some New soil in New part of my garden.

It is very Clay. I'm going to put Compost on it. What about Peat Moss?

big rockpile
My slope area, was also hard clay soil. I got me a rototiller. Got lots of bags of garden soil, bags of peat, and lessor amount bags of manure. spilled it all about the slope area. Then had at it with the rototiller, mixing and mixing, up and down. The slope is about 25 feet long and 7 foot wide. The graduate slope gave me a break with gravity with the rototiller coming back down . Anyway, just mixing and mixing. Then raking out smooth. Today, all green and awesome the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ah. Rye is a fast sprouting quick growing cover crop. Mostly used to hurry and get something on the ground before it erodes or blows away in the wind. Not that it won't hold and buffer your your nitrogen and nutrients, but why not at least mix in a legume like crimson clover?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah. Rye is a fast sprouting quick growing cover crop. Mostly used to hurry and get something on the ground before it erodes or blows away in the wind. Not that it won't hold and buffer your your nitrogen and nutrients, but why not at least mix in a legume like crimson clover?
Might do that.

What was funny I was using Clover for a Food Plot.

I was cleaning Clover out of Fescue. I planted some. It was better than what I paid for.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Well I have a New Tiller I'm not allowed to run but our Son can.

This Fall I'm going to plant Rye.

big rockpile
I rented the Tiller I used. As years go quickly, I believe I did that task about 18 years ago. Yep indeed an animal of a machine to keep hold of as I recall. But took my time. And learned if it hits a rock the back jump is not fun. I think I rented it for one day, or 8 hours. Let you keep it one overnight in the rental agreement. Somehow we got it back in the truck. And had the guys on the other end take it out. Did not cost much, and no need to find storage for it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gypsum is very effective at breaking up clay soils and improving aeration. It is neutral pH too.
I have some Gypsum also have some Micro Life it is supposed to be better than Gypsum.

My Son planted some stuff in that soil. I told him it will probably die because water can't get it.

big rockpile

Ask a Question