Peaches think spring is here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well once again Mother Nature has possibly fooled some of my peach trees. Last year I didn't get any peaches because I didn't get enough chilling hours and this year I had more than enough chilling hours and then the weather changed to springlike a month early and they bloomed. Next Thursday it might freeze again. Normally around the first of April is when they bloom. And it looks like it's time to shred the grass and tree saplings again. I hate that.
002.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Chuck, most of my fruit trees are in blossom also. It is way too early. I got 3 apples, zero pears and zero peaches last year because of a late April freeze. I have spent many hours trimming and digging the bases out to the correct level. I will be very disappointed if the weather negates my hard work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, most of my fruit trees are in blossom also. It is way too early. I got 3 apples, zero pears and zero peaches last year because of a late April freeze. I have spent many hours trimming and digging the bases out to the correct level. I will be very disappointed if the weather negates my hard work.
I keep saying that there is always next year. But, I am getting so old and decrepit that there might not be one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I keep saying that there is always next year. But, I am getting so old and decrepit that there might not be one.

I know the feeling Chuck. I have gotten to the point where I have a chair on the edge of my garden so I can rest when I get worn out. I keep hoping that this will be the year that my garden is perfect but between clay, drought and bugs I know it is just an old man's dream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My fruit trees are popping also. Here, after March 15th is pretty safe, and definitely after April 15th. But it is snapping cold as I type, and probably will again before Easter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know the feeling Chuck. I have gotten to the point where I have a chair on the edge of my garden so I can rest when I get worn out. I keep hoping that this will be the year that my garden is perfect but between clay, drought and bugs I know it is just an old man's dream.
I have been gardening for 60+ years and in that time I have never had a perfect garden where everything was perfect. Either its insects destroying something or the weather demolishing everything or something just unexpected such as a plague of grasshoppers, something has happened each year to ruin my efforts for a perfect garden. Perhaps it's just bad luck but I am beginning to believe that there is no such thing as a perfect garden. Maybe that"s good. Just think how boring it would be to have a perfect garden year after year after year. But I would like it to happen at least once, even by accident, before I go to that big tomato patch in the sky.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'd rather NOT see any blossoms now as I want fruits. Cold snaps can put paid to all that! Beautiful blooms, Chuck!

Ask a Question