Peace Lily - Curled up leaves, turning black

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello,

I have been struggling with my peace lily for quite some time. It was a small, healthy plant till 2 months ago. Then with the onset of summer (high temperatures and dry weather here), the leaves started wilting and the ends of the leaves were turning black and spreading inwards. If I snipped off the black portions, the next day the edges would turn black again.
This is the state it was in 1.5 months ago - the black edge of the leaf is visible, the leaf in the middle curled up (vertically) and a new leaf (visible on the right as a stalk) started growing when I put it in a dark cool room.
IMG_20200504_210710.jpg

However that new stalk took a month to grow into a full leaf and meanwhile the other leaves worsened. So I had to snip them off. And the new leaf also immediately curled up vertically.

Now these are the only remaining leaves I am left with. I took out the plant from the pot to check for root rot (there was a little of it, so I snipped off the soft black roots) and have kept it in water hoping for a miracle.
IMG_20200609_104011.jpg

The only change I see is that the leaves were pale green, now one of them has turned dark green. But they are still weirdly curled up and black spots are still developing on them.

Please help! :(

Attachments

• IMG_20200609_104028.jpg
    IMG_20200609_104028.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20200609_104109.jpg
    IMG_20200609_104109.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 105
Reaction score
Country
United States
Peace lily needs a long dry time between waterings or it will rot and turn mushy. The plants in the water will die from lack oxygen in the roots. All you can do now is to plant the plants in a fast draining soil and hope for the best. The plant in the orange container looks like its planted too deep in the container.

Ask a Question