Over abundance of greenery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone tell me what is wrong with my soil or perhaps my mismanagement? I have repeated disappointments when growing root crops like turnips, carrots, parsnips, also brassicas like cabbages, cauliflower etc. my plants grow very large foliages but little underneath, even my cabbages, they have massive leaves but no hearts? Is this an oversupply of nitrogen in the soil? Any suggestions would be welcome.
Brian.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
On these crops I seriously doubt it is an overabundance of Nitrogen that is the problem. I would hazard to say it is a lack of P and K. Also trace minerals could be a factor. Calcium, although present in your soil, may be unavailable. I would amend the soil with P and K additives plus I would also start applications of liquid seaweed and Epsom Salts.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Brian Thomson :)

I'd go along with what Chuck has mentioned but also, are you getting enough light, is the plot being shaded?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whereabouts are you in the UK Brian? Can you tell us a bit more about your plot. What kind of soil do you have there, and is your garden sunny, windy, shady ???

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could be a boron deficiency. Shortage of boron certainly causes a range of problems with brassicas from failure to produce heads to hollow stems with a tendency to rot.
Either use a feed/fertiliser with trace elements, or apply a feed of 1oz of sodium borate in 2 gallons of water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whereabouts are you in the UK Brian? Can you tell us a bit more about your plot. What kind of soil do you have there, and is your garden sunny, windy, shady ???
I'm in the highlands of Scotland, Aviemore area. I have a small plot half of which is planted out with raspberries which do well most years, I've made 14lbs of jam and froze another six this year, they are inclined to shade the rest of the plot slightly, however as I was saying root crops and brassicas are inclined to be all foliage and very little else, the plot is quite sheltered but will grow other things, ie peas, I had a big crop of those this year.

Ask a Question