Ornamental Trees and Shrubs with reddish purple foliage

Reaction score
Wow, it's one of the most gorgeous and unique trees I've ever seen, I love it:D. The tree in the last picture is especially beautiful, I like not only its color, but also its shape. I've never seen trees like this in my area, I wonder if it's possible to grow them in my climate zone.

As plum trees are a favorite of yours, I thought that you might like these, of the two, the crab apple is definitely my favorite especially 'profusion' which is the one you like, because it always grows in that beautiful shape :)
These ornamental crab apple trees are extremely easy to grow and tolerate a wide range of growing conditions, so If plum trees grow in your area, which I think they do, there is absolutely no reason why an ornamental crab apple wouldn't grow in your climate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
If 'Profusion' always grows in that gorgeous shape, it's even better:)! I thought that maybe only this particular tree in the picture is so stunning. I love its branches. And yes, plum trees grow in my climate zone:) We had had one in our garden, but of course my parents cut it down:confused: I've never seen any ornamental crab apple trees here, I wonder why people don't grow them. They're so pretty!!

Reaction score
If 'Profusion' always grows in that gorgeous shape, it's even better:)! I thought that maybe only this particular tree in the picture is so stunning. I love its branches. And yes, plum trees grow in my climate zone:) We had had one in our garden, but of course my parents cut it down:confused: I've never seen any ornamental crab apple trees here, I wonder why people don't grow them. They're so pretty!!

All crab apple trees have a nice shape, but 'Profusion' always outshines all of them, like you I just love everything about this tree.
As plum trees grow in your climate zone, I had thought that you might have seen some crab apple trees, as they are so beautiful, but then again, perhaps no one knows about crab apple trees where you are, and thats why you haven't seen any, perhaps you should start giving out hints to people about how beautiful they are, so they are encouraged to plant them (grin)
What made your parents cut your plum tree down, was it ailing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It was a perfectly healthy and beautiful plum tree:cry: I have no idea why my parents cut it down. I guess they don't have any sense of aesthetics:( It's just another reason to find a way to have my own garden. I would definitely plant a few crab apple trees in it:)

Reaction score
It was a perfectly healthy and beautiful plum tree:cry: I have no idea why my parents cut it down. I guess they don't have any sense of aesthetics:( It's just another reason to find a way to have my own garden. I would definitely plant a few crab apple trees in it:)

Thats oh so sad :cry: There is absolutely no way, that I could ever even consider cutting down a healthy tree and especially not a a plum tree, as not only do I love how they look in the garden but also, just absolutely adore eating plums :D
I think if you had a garden Claudine - I know for sure, I would really love it, because not only are you someone who really loves plants, but also I'm sure, you would fill it full of all my favorite reddish purple colors :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thats oh so sad :cry: There is absolutely no way, that I could ever even consider cutting down a healthy tree and especially not a a plum tree, as not only do I love how they look in the garden but also, just absolutely adore eating plums :D
I think if you had a garden Claudine - I know for sure, I would really love it, because not only are you someone who really loves plants, but also I'm sure, you would fill it full of all my favorite reddish purple colors :)
I would! I love reddish purple colors too, I find them very pretty:) They remind me of autumn, my favorite season. But I would also plant poplars, oaks, walnut trees and many, many different varieties of roses. I like gardens that look a little eclectic:p

Reaction score
Claudine

That is exactly, how I knew for sure, that I would really like your garden, and your description is exactly as I thought it would be, full of trees and plants with wonderful colors and I can almost picture how pretty it would look, especially your rose garden packed full of heavenly velvety blooms and a fragrance to match :)

Reaction score
If anyone was looking for a truly unusual and outstanding specimen tree, I think Fagus Sylvatica often known as The Tricolor Beech Tree or ' Bird in a Banner would have to be the perfect choice :)

Fagus (2).jpg

There are not many variegated trees like this or ones that are as elegant and or as magical as this Fagus,

Fagus tricolor 2.JPG

and that have some of the most enticing and magnificent variegated foliage you've ever seen, that changes color throughout the seasons, culminating in the most spectacular of Autumn displays :)

Fagus rosemarginata.jpg

As you can't quite see, just how really spectacular the foliage is from the pictures above - just take a look at these

Fagus Tricolor (3).jpg

- truly magnificent don't you think ?

Reaction score
I love the "Summer Chocolate" the name alone is enticing.

The flower looks peaceful. It looks as if they are barely floating on the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gata Montes, Fagus is exceptionally beautiful! I'm surprisedt that I haven't heard of it before. Such gorgeous trees should be more popular!:) I adore the last picture. Those leaves look like butterflies!

Reaction score
Gata Montes, Fagus is exceptionally beautiful! I'm surprisedt that I haven't heard of it before. Such gorgeous trees should be more popular!:) I adore the last picture. Those leaves look like butterflies!

I wish they were more popular too, especially as they are, one of but a few trees with stunning reddish purple foliage and variegated leaves, and have to say, I think the variegated foliage is some of the most magical and stunning, I've ever seen on tree :)
I'm wondering though, if the reason we don't see many of these spectacular trees around, is not because they are not popular but because so few people know that this particular Fagus exists.

Reaction score
Cercis Canadensis - Forest Pansy or Canadian Redbud

Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy'.jpg

is yet another stunning reddish purple beauty that is more than worthy of having a place in anyones garden with its

Cercis canadensis Forest pansy leaf.jpg

striking heart shaped foliage - changing color throughout the year - can be grown as tree

cercisredbud, forest pansy.jpg

or as a shrub

Cercis Forest Pansy.JPG

and looks absolutely gorgeous in the spring when in full blossom

Cercis Forest Pansy in bloom.jpg

Cercis canadensis msu 3.jpg

Ask a Question