Organic Response to Yellow Jackets?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/7b
Country
United States
Old post, but if anyone is reading this never ever ever pour gasoline or any other petroleum product into the ground. It's terrible for the soil and will last years.

The best method I've found for ground nests is to place a glass container over the hole. The yellow jackets will not realize their entrance is blocked (because light will still be filtering into it) and they'll eventually starve to death. Sounds crazy, but it works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm sick of hearing people that are supposedly earth-friendly, lecture to me how we are destroying the earth and then turn around and kill wasps and other creatures. I can't say how many times I've seen this; I don't know if this is the case with the above video, but it reminds me of personal cases I've witnessed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm sick of hearing people that are supposedly earth-friendly, lecture to me how we are destroying the earth and then turn around and kill wasps and other creatures. I can't say how many times I've seen this; I don't know if this is the case with the above video, but it reminds me of personal cases I've witnessed.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding...are you saying killing wasps makes one a de facto not earth-friendly person?

As I stated above, some critters that are in my ( or my pets) personal space get killed. Wasp nest in my yard, mosquitoes, flies etc in the house, fleas. And doG forbid I should ever have bedbugs or cockroaches in the house, they would be terminated with extreme prejudice by whatever means necessary!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/7b
Country
United States

You have the all or none mentality. If someone is earth friendly, does that mean they can't kill any type of plant or insect? Should they let termites destroy their home? Poison Ivy grow all over their house? Is driving a car, or using electricity, or buying any commercially made products make someone not earth friendly? It isn't all or none, there are different levels. Simply using a computer would be considered not "Earth friendly".

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you want to be truly earth-friendly, have you made plans for your burial? Have you told your loved ones that you do not wish to be embalmed? That you want to be put in a biodegradable coffin and buried in a shallow grave, so that you can be composted naturally? Maybe you chose Sky burial, to be fed to vultures and other carrion eating life forms? Or perhaps burial at sea, to feed sea life?

Coal mining and burning are both bad for the environment. Do you use electricity? Same with drilling for oil, and burning gasoline. Do you drive a car? Do you heat your home, or water, or cook with natural gas?

When you order things online, or buy things in stores, do you first check to see if they are packaged with styrofoam, and if so, do you then refuse the purchase? And the same with take-out food?

Do you clean with bleach, and then rinse it down the drain?

Have you gotten rid of your toilet and built an outhouse?

If your pet has fleas, do you just let it go? When the cat has tapeworms, or the dog has ticks, do you just call it the cycle of life and let your pet suffer?

Sorry, but if wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets endanger me and mine, they have got to go. I've got too many other things to worry about. (n)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I didn't mean to sound lecturing, I was more responding to the title, because it reminded me of a person that used the word “organic” a lot and use to lecture me about how we humans were destroying the earth, but some of the things I saw this person do was totally contradictory.

Bottom line, I shouldn't of said anything on this thread. I'll wait for a more appropriate time, I don't want to revive this any further...BTW, I'm in no way “earth friendly”. I would consider myself an environmentalist, but I hate most of them. I actually hate nature, but that's for another time....:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
roadrunner, I hear ya. Some people can be sanctimonious about being "green" which is ironic when they're using a computer and on the grid.

It's a balancing act, really. Many of us (I'd say most on this forum) make at least somewhat of an effort to keep our carbon footprint small, and be good stewards of the space we can control.

That's all I got for now. (y):ninja:

Ask a Question