Opening a can of worms

• Thread starter Peace perfect peace
  • Start date
P

Peace perfect peace

Hi colin, here's one for you ,
Three workers "One promotion of offer"
Who do think should get the new promotion?

Worker number (1) whan asked to do anything He wants to stand on a box and tell the other workers the Boss has asked him to do this task,

Worker number (2) Again asked to do the same task "reply" Why me why dont you ask someone else, it's noy my job etc etc etc.

Worker number (3) It's nearly his going home time and the boss calls him in and ask him to do the same task he asked numbers (1 & 2)

Number (3) as always gets on with this 10 min extra task and pop's his head around the boss's door to say job done "see you tomorrow"

Colin,
Out of the three who would you select for the promotion and why?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Excellent question PPP. Worker number one will get the job. In my experience those with big gobs and little between their ears get promoted because they have the sense to quit unlike me who got promoted because I was a grafter like number three but I've always been the odd one out being first in and last out at work; I'm just a sucker to help anyone and I'll never change. Upper management didn't like me because I could do every job in my three departments earning respect of my three teams.

19 years into retirement and I was back home from three supermarkets by 8:30 this morning; 10:30 knock off for a mug of tea then knock off for dinner; I've treated both the huts I made with Barrettine and am being lazy again knocking off for teatime; whomever invented retirement forgot to add holidays to it.

https://www.toolstation.com/wood-pr...w6QwfE9OU2zuLZ719Yv_MVq6-d-Ih_6QaAsV1EALw_wcB

Kind regards, Colin.

Garden huts._001.JPG

Hut I made about three years ago.

Garden huts._002.JPG

Second hut I've just completed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It depends upon your level of skill:
To mow the lawn weed out borders, etc. basically unskilled work €20-25 per hr.
More advanced, like planning and executing a garden, €100 per hr.

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi,

Excellent question PPP. Worker number one will get the job. In my experience those with big gobs and little between their ears get promoted because they have the sense to quit unlike me who got promoted because I was a grafter like number three but I've always been the odd one out being first in and last out at work; I'm just a sucker to help anyone and I'll never change. Upper management didn't like me because I could do every job in my three departments earning respect of my three teams.

19 years into retirement and I was back home from three supermarkets by 8:30 this morning; 10:30 knock off for a mug of tea then knock off for dinner; I've treated both the huts I made with Barrettine and am being lazy again knocking off for teatime; whomever invented retirement forgot to add holidays to it.

https://www.toolstation.com/wood-pr...w6QwfE9OU2zuLZ719Yv_MVq6-d-Ih_6QaAsV1EALw_wcB

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 54067

Hut I made about three years ago.

View attachment 54068

Second hut I've just completed.

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi colin,
You got it right, if the number (3) had been given the promotion then both the boss himself wouldn't have anyone he could count on to do these last minute jobs and as he proberly would give the job to the mouth (1) it's just passing the real worker to the new second in command,
Number (3) people in the work place always seem tobe over looked and in 9 out of 10 cases end up looking for another company or go self employed.
Well done colin.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I charge £15 an hour, same rate in Kent as where I used to live in the Westcountry.

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi zigs,
Do you provide your own tools etc ?

The reason im asking is because when i was asked what do i think a gardener should be charging i thought about the running cost ie transport to the work place What insurance i"d need to cover all involved (after all it's a claim claim , society we're living in & the customer can claim against you)
Ive never done gardening for a living but i did once lend a small trailer out to a neighbour living down the street to me who'd i'd never talked to until he knocked on my door knowing i had a trailer asked to use it and on it's return asked if i had insurance as he'd damaged his rear light reversing.

You might say lesson learned !!!!!!!!
But to earn a living at gardening and to do it correctly (covering all your cost, ie NI STAMP, Tax? insurance etc, ) you really have to go some to live on £15per hour.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

It depends upon your level of skill:
To mow the lawn weed out borders, etc. basically unskilled work €20-25 per hr.
More advanced, like planning and executing a garden, €100 per hr.

Good point headfullofbees. (y)

Above shows our minimum wage in the UK. For general gardening duties then £15 per hour seems reasonable but with quite a few factors to take into account. Gardening generally means moving around from garden to garden and how often will a full 8 hour day be spent in one garden; locally gardeners are employed for two hours perhaps every two weeks so taking travelling time it's unlikely a full 8 hour day will be achieved unless running into overtime.

Our UK climate is often dire; it certainly is here in West Yorkshire where it can rain for months on end; our winters drag on for many months too making any work outside a gamble even in mid summer.

Gardeners are usually gardeners and don't understand how their gardening machines work such as petrol lawn mowers or hedge trimmers so they have these serviced by a third part at high cost; our neighbours gardener had his petrol mower serviced the mower then out of his hands for three weeks and it cost him £145; it's just a standard mower not the ride on type. Of course those doing the servicing need to be paid but as I explained to the gardener servicing isn't highly skilled once the basics are grasped so save a lot of money and learn how to do your own servicing; there are now many YouTube videos showing how to do servicing. I like tinkering around and I like this neighbours gardener who is a hard worker so in future I'll take on his servicing only charging for parts and consumables; he'll be given original parts back and will receive any invoices stating any expenditure on my part. This gardener is called Paul and I was having a quick natter with Paul yesterday over the garden fence; Paul has a mower problem where a third party installed an incorrect control cable the cable now having a number of cable ties attached to it and it doesn't work correctly; Paul doesn't understand the function of the cable and he isn't in any way clued up regarding mechanics but he's going to learn pretty soon because I'm going to look after his gardening kit and have a go at teaching him the basics treating it as an hobby; I'll enjoy tinkering around costing me nothing other than my time and Paul hopefully will save quite a bit of money and learn new skills so a win win situation.

National insurance and income tax has to be paid; those on low income won't have a lot of tax to pay but gardening equipment costs money to buy and maintain also fuel both for transport and powering equipment soon adds up. Gardeners need to have a compact area to work in otherwise transport; time and running costs quickly mount up; it's OK travelling a good distance for say a full days work but not for just a couple of hours. If self employed then there are tax returns and insurance which has already been mentioned; vehicle insurance will cost more if running a business.

Our postman has his full time post delivery job but in the evenings and weekends he and his wife are out doing gardening work; this I think is a good balance; the backup of full time guaranteed work with a guaranteed income with gardening income as a bonus but care is needed because earnings have to be declared for tax purposes.

It's not a bed of roses being self employed; I found it highly stressful when I had my own garage business many years ago; I lived at work with customers wanting their cars repairing yesterday and seldom being happy to pay for repairs. When I retired in 2000 I intended to start up my own furniture business concentrating on solid oak Welsh dressers with a brilliant name of Colwyn Dressers ( Colin & Bronwyn). We had £30,000 start up fund in cash we could afford to lose if things went wrong without impacting on our lives; however the more we looked into starting a business from scratch here in the UK with all the rules and regulations involved Bron asked me if I really wanted to carry on working because she could manage on my works pension so in 2000 I fully retired and have never regretted it.

How many self employed actually pay into a private pension fund; when they do finally retire they will be living in poverty and things are getting worse not better; the private pension rules have changed here and how many are taking advantage by spending their pension on cars; caravans; house extensions and holidays ignoring the fact what the pension fund was meant to be for. We planned our retirement from first marrying 43 years ago paying into my final salary pension doing without luxuries whilst everyone around us was spending every penny they could borrow; I'm now 19 years into retirement and we're better off now than when we were both working.

Self employment is a minefield with everyone's hand in your pocket; who really wants to be in a garden when the puddles are frozen with thick ice and the ground is rock hard.

One important question; is it worth killing yourself to work like a demon being constantly stressed out to earn lots of money then spend the money on things like holidays or cars; Bron and I haven't had an holiday away from home for the last 42 years and when we tell people they are usually aghast; what they don't realize whilst they are still out working full time is that Bron and I are on holiday full time the year round; obviously everyone is different but we've done our grafting and now we can enjoy our own quiet life whilst the world goes mad around us.

A full time job with guaranteed income and gardening in spare time weather permitting seems a good compromise to me; interesting thread though and I wish anyone going into gardening full time the very best of luck.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have known many "professionals" who make a lot of money who don't have the sense to come in out of the rain. I have seen all kinds of qualifications on paper and the holder of the paper is clueless. Then I have seen individuals who just know what they are doing who make no pretense either way. It's up to you to determine who is who and who will work for what.
I agree, but real professional gardening, including design, requires such a large amount of knowledge, over such a wide range, means that you probably couldn't acquire this knowledge by experience alone, until you are in your 40s, and that's if you really have a feel for it. Not the time, really, to start a career, unless going self-employed, as, to an employer, you could be any chancer.
If you need to employ someone highly skilled, you can really only go by attitude, qualifications & references, and then continue to employ on the basis of competence.

Ask a Question