Old Pond Filling & Redesign

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Partner and I recently moved into our first home. Previous owners had a (poorly maintained) pond and we wanted to remove and replace with some sort of additional seating area/patio. We have passed the fish to a good new home and drained the pond. We are now ready to repurpose this space but we're not sure on how to go about it.

The pond is raised up from the patio about 45cm on some wood that looks like it has seen better days. The pond is roughly 250cm x 270cm.

My plan is to remove the lining and polystyrene from the walls of the pond, fill with brick/concrete that we have from my Dad.

Should we remove the wood and fill the pond to be level with the rest of the patio? I'm keen to re-do the full patio eventually, and it seems the current patio is just laid on top of the old concrete (i.e. it's raised up more than what it should be) so need to keep this in mind.

Should we keep the wood and have a raised platform? Could the wood take the weight of it?

How do we fill the pond so that we can lay a concrete foundation/put slabs down? Gravel? Soil?

Detailed answers with pics for inspiration would be much appreciated!...

Thanks

IMG_0444 Small.jpeg
IMG_0441 Small.jpeg
IMG_0440 Small.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
You can fill the pond just like a raised bed garden and plant flowers, fruit, vegetables or just about any combination of plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You can fill the pond just like a raised bed garden and plant flowers, fruit, vegetables or just about any combination of plants.
Was gonna say specialty planting\greenhouse opportunity since the base walls are already there. But this is a gardening website and you know they say when you are a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Ask a Question