Old Exposed Composed Manure

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and I would love to get some great advice and answers :). A few years ago I tried growing a sweet potato plant in a large container full of store bought black kow manure from Lowe's (I know bigggg mistake I know that now but back then I didn't know that). The plant slowly died and I pulled it out. Since then the manure has been sitting in my backyard exposed to the elements for a few years now and was wondering if its still good to use. I'm kind of worried about having to use it because of fear of unknown bacteria in it since it sat out for so long. Only thing that knew in it was weed.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
If its been sitting out exposed to the elements for several years, it has probably lost its beneficial nutrients...but would still make a good soil amendment medium. I'd use it in a mix with soils...and wouldn't worry for a second about unknown bacteria.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If its been sitting out exposed to the elements for several years, it has probably lost its beneficial nutrients...but would still make a good soil amendment medium. I'd use it in a mix with soils...and wouldn't worry for a second about unknown bacteria.
Oh wow thanks a million (hug) :)(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If worms have got at it, then it may be better than new, in terms of growing medium, but Meadowlark is right about nutrients.
95% of soil bacteria are beneficial, both to plants and humans.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly you're probably fine, it may not be as beneficial a few years later but if it was in a pot then likely not all of the nutrients were lost.

Ask a Question