Oak Leaf Hydrangeas as a Standard

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I was thrilled to bits to come across these 2 new adventures. My local nursery fellow had forgotten to cut these back so left them as standards. I had seen tree hydrangeas on this forum recently and had my heart set on one so to find 2 that he was throwing away at a song was a thrill. I have the perfect shady spot for one and looking for a home for the other. One has some growth at the base and I am considering leaving it so it has a ball at the base, the trunk and then the tree top. Could be exciting:). Here is the spot and here are the tree/standard hydrangeas./ATTACH]
rps20161015_072249.jpg
rps20161015_072230.jpg
rps20161015_072249.jpg rps20161015_072230.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
The 2 in the pots are the standard Leaf Hydrangeas and here they are staked very sturdily until the can stand on their own 2 feet.
rps20161015_150929.jpg
rps20161015_150902.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
OK, LOL. hard to see.

BTW, it is very easy to make a baby from a Oakleaf. My original ONE, has given off three babies so far that are thriving in other sections of the gardens.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Ooh, I must go have a closer look. I have 2 quite established ones. One is in my white garden and was "umbrellad" by a tree now dead and gone. I am concerned for its welfare this summer. I have seen your wonderful hydrangeas Esther and trust your knowledge. What do you think would be be the outcome of trying to transplant into a more shady spot?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
OK, LOL. hard to see.

BTW, it is very easy to make a baby from a Oakleaf. My original ONE, has given off three babies so far that are thriving in other sections of the gardens.

Just checked and thrilled to see that there are 2 babies I can see:). Thanks for the heads up Esther. Do you think that are ready to move or should I wait until summer is over?
rps20161016_091846.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The hydrangea is one of my favorite plants. I do not live in a climate that is good for the plant. I had several in my yard when I lived on the west coast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
depends on how old the mom is, and how long they been there? Your in zone 10a so not so cold in the winter. Go ahead and move them, make sure you get a good root tail and plant in like soil. Or you could leave it all and the shrub will just get thicker, wider.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks Esther. "Mom" is about 4 years old I think. Maybe I should wait till after summer. I've just moved 3 camellias and apparently is a risky time to do it. I've been warned I must water very conscientiously all over summer. I had a plan and just couldn't wait:confused:. What did Marymary's mother say about patience being a virtue:p. Too hard, it's too hard to wait for them to grow let alone if they are in the wrong spot:cool::eek::rolleyes:!!!

Attachments

• rps20161016_091829.jpg
    rps20161016_091829.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 299

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What did Marymary's mother say about patience being a virtue:p. Too hard, it's too hard to wait for them to grow let alone if they are in the wrong spot:cool::eek::rolleyes:!!!

DeborahJane, patience is a virtue...
unfortunately, it is not one of yours.

:ROFLMAO: You should know, Mom was an elementary school teacher. These words were usually delivered in THAT TONE, and given with THE LOOK... You'd better just settle down, now. :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
DeborahJane, patience is a virtue...
unfortunately, it is not one of yours.

:ROFLMAO: You should know, Mom was an elementary school teacher. These words were usually delivered in THAT TONE, and given with THE LOOK... You'd better just settle down, now. :LOL:

I'll try but i don't hold put much hope. My neighbour who has sadly moved away was like minded. If she wanted something done she wanted it now, yesterday would be better but today would do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Maybe you need a hobby...

:D

No time for another hobby;)as what ever I do I tend to do rather fanatically:ROFLMAO:!!!!! I do draw but I do tend to stick to the once a week workshops at our local Art Society. Sometimes I'll go out into the garden "just for a bit" and low and behold I'm still there at lunch time and have missed the workshop:LOL:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The hydrangea is one of my favorite plants. I do not live in a climate that is good for the plant. I had several in my yard when I lived on the west coast.

I'm in New England and they do very well up, mine is in the front corner of my front yard and gets lots of snow piled on it every winter and does just fine.

Ask a Question