Novice home owner looking for help on lawn care

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all :)

Wife and i are first time homebuyers, we built a house last year and moved at the end of December. We're in North Texas and the grass we have, i believe is Bermuda. The sprinkler system waters all areas every other day for around 15 minutes at 8pm.

Our sod was laid on December 28th when we closed, and the temperature wasn't really all that great so the grass remained not doing a lot until the last few weeks when temperatures increased, i finally have green patches coming through!

I've seen products out there for everything going, but I've not got a clue where to start and would appreciate some advice. I want to take pride in my new lawn and make sure i keep it looking great with my house.

Questions i have so far:

1. When would the best time to be to start mowing my lawn for the first time?
2. Is my watering schedule as it is right now good, or can i adjust it to better suit my lawn?
3. What products do i need to start out with, and when should i look at using them?

A few pictures attached for reference, i appreciate any advice offered!

IMG_20190404_163641.jpg IMG_20190404_163644.jpg IMG_20190404_163739.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

First, identify your grass. No sense treating a giraffe when you have a rabbit.

2. Is my watering schedule as it is right now good, or can i adjust it to better suit my lawn?

Put your finger in the soil. Damp is almost too much. Your water, your money, get it?

3. What products do i need to start out with, and when should i look at using them?

Black Kow composted manure works everywhere, anytime. Other than that its rabbits or giraffes and they are different.

You probably do have a warm season grass. wait until greenup before you do anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all :)

Wife and i are first time homebuyers, we built a house last year and moved at the end of December. We're in North Texas and the grass we have, i believe is Bermuda. The sprinkler system waters all areas every other day for around 15 minutes at 8pm.

Our sod was laid on December 28th when we closed, and the temperature wasn't really all that great so the grass remained not doing a lot until the last few weeks when temperatures increased, i finally have green patches coming through!

I've seen products out there for everything going, but I've not got a clue where to start and would appreciate some advice. I want to take pride in my new lawn and make sure i keep it looking great with my house.

Questions i have so far:

A few pictures attached for reference, i appreciate any advice offered!

View attachment 51589 View attachment 51590 View attachment 51591
It looks like your bermuda is off to a rocky start. Winter is not the best time to lay bermuda sod. It may still be alive and maybe not. It probably is but here is what you should do now. In N. Texas you can readily get everything you will need First get you a bag of Medina Gro&Green fertilizer spread it out heavily. Don't worry, you will have a hard time of putting too much down. Water it in. If the sun keeps shinning let the soil dry out for about a week and then mow. You will have to decide at which height you want your finished lawn to be. If your grass is Common Bermuda mow it from 1/2" to 1 1/2". If a hybrid bermuda mow from 1" to 2". When spring has really set in you will be able to see any bare spots where the grass is dead. You can either dig plugs from the existing grass, buy a few squares of sod or when the weather is HOT you can reseed. Bermuda likes to be mowed. Always mow it at the same height. As for watering water once every week or 10 days. Get a few tuna fish cans and set them around in your yard and measure the amount of time it takes to fill them up. Set you timer to this amount of time. Bermuda is a tough grass but unless kept regularly watered it will turn brown in the summer time but it won't die. Bermuda is as susceptible to pests as any other grass but worse. Bermuda is a favorite grass for chiggers. If you will set up a spray regimen of a spinosad based insecticide you will not have any insect problems. Spinosad is organic and safe for kids and pets. Ask at your nursery or hardware store and read the label. Spinosad is the active ingredient. There are a lot of brands sold. For a really lush lawn you should spread about 1/4" to 1/2" of a GOOD compost once a year. Bermuda will turn brown every winter. Just remember to keep it watered and it will overwinter just fine. A word to the wise. Bermuda grows like crazy and will invade your flower beds or garden with ease. You will have to install some type of underground/aboveground barrier or it will take over. Grass burrs love to grow in unkept weak stands of bermuda along with other weeds but if you keep it watered and fed it will grow so dense that weeds cannot survive. AND KEEP IT MOWED.

landscapingservice

Dew Smith
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Before you start mowing, we recommend scraping your lawn. Doing so before you mow will allow you to pull up any thatch that may have accumulated over the winter. In addition, scraping your lawn will highlight any dead areas that will need additional resources and attention once you begin working on your yard.

Ask a Question