North Texas peach trees

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anybody else have fruitless peach trees in north Texas this year? Last year my tree had over 200 peaches on it,this year not a single one. I know we had the warmest december in history last winter and I wonder if that's what caused it? Or maybe the tree used up all its energy producing the heavy crop last year? I probably should have thinned them last year but I didnt because I always lose a bunch to the squirrels and blue jays. I also dont see any peaches on other trees in the neighborhood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Anybody else have fruitless peach trees in north Texas this year? Last year my tree had over 200 peaches on it,this year not a single one. I know we had the warmest december in history last winter and I wonder if that's what caused it? Or maybe the tree used up all its energy producing the heavy crop last year? I probably should have thinned them last year but I didnt because I always lose a bunch to the squirrels and blue jays. I also dont see any peaches on other trees in the neighborhood.
Peaches very often have a really good production year followed by one not so good. If all the other trees in the same area are showing the same thing I would have to say that you had a late frost, one that killed the bud swells or the actual buds and blooms themselves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The tree had a ton of blossoms,(although the blossoms did seem small to me),they just did not set fruit. I read somewhere if a tree has a HEAVY fruit set it expends all its energy into ripening those fruits and doesn't have any extra energy to form fruit buds for the next year. Kinda makes sense. Either way I'm gonna thin the tiny peaches if it ever has a heavy fruit set again.Next year I hope.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The tree had a ton of blossoms,(although the blossoms did seem small to me),they just did not set fruit. I read somewhere if a tree has a HEAVY fruit set it expends all its energy into ripening those fruits and doesn't have any extra energy to form fruit buds for the next year. Kinda makes sense. Either way I'm gonna thin the tiny peaches if it ever has a heavy fruit set again.Next year I hope.
It sounds just like a late frost, after the peaches bloomed. If it were just your trees I could understand the tree having a non-productive year. What ever the reason fertilize more than usual this year and keep well watered. This heat we are all having this year does not bode well for next years production.

Ask a Question