Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20210829_161300.jpg
Anyone know what this plant is called please?northeast england

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the New Zealand Cabbage Tree (Cordyline australis) in the Lomandra Family (Lomandraceae)*. In the U.K. you may know it as the Torbay Palm, though you are correct, it is not a true palm. They are very distinctive and attractive trees. I grow several in my garden. There are also a number of cultivars with colored or variegated leaves.

* Lomandraceae, as Lomandroideae, is sometimes treated as a subfamily of the Asparagus Family (Asparagaceae).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah brilliant thank you! They do look nice, fairly new to gardening and finding a lot of fun spending time in the garden since doing a revamp. Any recommendation on website I can get this from and how hard are they to grow/maintain?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Check with a local nursery first, before considering mail-order. You will be able to get a larger plant for the same price. I would think Cordyline australis should be readily available in England. It is an easy-care plant. It wants full sun, at least half a day, and regular water with good drainage. After establishment they are somewhat drought-tolerant.

Ask a Question