A

arbuthnot

Hello everybody

I'm a self taught gardener in England but really hate pricking out seedlings which is probably why they don't do very well for me. I tend to be a bit slapdash but, nevertheless, my garden grows well and I'm quite proud of it. I'm not young and have forgotten many of the latin plant names I taught myself. This grieves me! Alas, memory goes when you reach a grand old age so there isn't anything I can do about it.
I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in due course. Thank you for having me.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Arbuthnot, welcome! I, too, hate pricking out seedlings. I have found that mixing the seed with sand, at a 1:3 ratio helps make fewer seedlings and less pricking!
Many gardeners are not young, and most of us have to look up the botanical names of plants. I'd bet your garden is lovely, slapdash or not!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome arbuthnot. :) There's a number of us 'golden oldies' here so we'll understand if your memory lapses now and again. I love to grow from seed and have just bought 3000 Aubrieta seeds to start off next Spring. I won't ask you to help me prick them out though. :D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @arbuthnot - I`ll come and give you a hand - I like pricking out seedlings, grab them by the head and shove em in :devil: it is a good sitting down job and gives my knees a rest.
Forgetting the names is all part of the fun - I find that talking to the plants helps and they don`t answer back quite the same way as people.
Welcome to the forum (y)

A

arbuthnot

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm glad I don't have to plant out 3000 seeds, Sheal. Tetters, I also talk to plants because, like you say, they don't answer back. I get a good conversation that way with all the right answers!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @arbuthnot welcome to the forums. I don't know any of the Latin names so don't worry too much.
Always try to sow thinly and don't sow them all at once just incase you need to sow some more.

Ask a Question