Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Just registered here as I've been watching a LOT of YouTube videos.
We're in solid zone 6 here.
I've had a backyard garden for several years, but was always limited on space. Just purchased acreage and would like to have a really nice sized garden. I have also canned for many years and would like to can more of what I harvest.
Am interested in learning where others prefer to get their seeds. Also wondering if it matters when to purchase seeds - buy now as I find them available or wait until closer to the time to start germinating them.
We planted 12 fruit trees this year on our land as well as 4 blueberry bushes. I want to add thornless blackberry bushes this spring as well as raspberries.
Thanks for taking the time to read this! Looking forward to checking out the forums.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Lorri. :)

It's difficult to say whether you should buy seeds now, their viability depends on the type of plant you are growing. Some seeds will last years and still germinate, others much less than a year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Welcome Lorri. :)

It's difficult to say whether you should buy seeds now, their viability depends on the type of plant you are growing. Some seeds will last years and still germinate, others much less than a year.
Thanks Sheal - so I have pondered that idea and thought about testing seeds I already have - some a year or so old, some are quite old. My idea is to put one or 2 of the seeds into a small container during the winter under a grow light to see if anything happens. If not, toss the seeds and order new ones; otherwise, separate the viable seeds and know they can be used when I'm ready to start the indoor starts. Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Suer fan here of seed saving from previous crops. Still seeds for the most part have a sort of half life to them. The longer you wait to plant a seed the less likely it is to grow. that being said though it's a toss up really. The seeds you don't buy today might be the same ones you buy in four months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it does make sense. You can't lose by trying the seed and anything that germinates will be a bonus. :)

I know tomato seeds can remain viable for years - even decades.

Does the packaging on seed you buy display a use by date?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sometimes you will see a packaged date or a sell by date. I ton't think most seed packets have an expiration or use by date.
I've planted seeds harvested the previous year with nothing coming up and planted ten year old seeds with 90% germination.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Yes it does make sense. You can't lose by trying the seed and anything that germinates will be a bonus. :)

I know tomato seeds can remain viable for years - even decades.

Does the packaging on seed you buy display a use by date?
Yes, all but a couple. They vary from 2019 clear back to 2010. And the seeds are all varying varieties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
The old seed is worth a try but I would be inclined to buy new seed as I needed it. There's no point in wasting money and time on seeds that could go out of date. Grass seed is something I always buy fresh as germination is unreliable once it reaches a year old.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum Lorri. I would go on eBay and get one of the cheap heating pads for starting seeds indoors. Take the seeds in question and plant a few in January and set on the heating pad. If you get close to 100% germination you know you can use them in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum Lorri. I would go on eBay and get one of the cheap heating pads for starting seeds indoors. Take the seeds in question and plant a few in January and set on the heating pad. If you get close to 100% germination you know you can use them in the spring.
Thank you!! I thought about it and did order a couple of heating pads from Amazon. I'll be needing them anyhow. Good idea.

Last edited:

Ask a Question